Rookie
richblue2
Accepted Solution

Saving DVR recordings to USB

Is there a way to save recorded programs from Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8240 HDC DVR receiver to a USB drive or external hard drive so we can save movies we've recorded and use the DVR memory for new recordings?

Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
WolvenOne

Re: Saving DVR recordings to USB

All of our DVR boxes have the USB & Ethernet disabled as a factory default. It was explained to me that the main reason for this has to do with rules and guidelines about responsibilities when it comes to the potential of video piracy. So, in short, there is no ability for you to transfer your recordings from the DVR box to another device.

- Kyu

Please use plain text.
Rookie
richblue2

I did see in the manual that there is a SATA port to add a SATA drive.  I'm guessing that's primarily for additional memory space.  Is that available or has that been disconnected as well.  If that's available, where can I find approved SATA drives?

Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
WolvenOne

Upon researching and discussing the option of using an eSATA drive, the information that I found was basically saying that it is not officially supported, possibly disabled, though if not disabled it would only work on an MDN STB. Looking through the equipment in our database, it means that there may be four boxes it could possibly work on (listed below), all others may work in part (meaning certain features may not work, like fast forward or rewind), or it won't save to the eSATA drive at all.

Scientific Atlanta Model 8000

Scientific Atlanta Model 8300

Scientific Atlanta Model 8300HD

Pace DC700X

Some things to keep in mind about how eSATA works with a DVR. The eSATA drive formats and pairs itself with the DVR receiver it is connected to.  This means that all of the recordings stored on the eSATA drive can only be viewed with the DVR it is paired with. Because the content on the eSATA drive is paired with the DVR receiver it's connected to, the subscriber will have to reformat the external drive if they want to connect it to a different DVR receiver.  This means that the recordings made with the original DVR receiver will be lost.

And finally, the list of disclaimers I found to go along with this information: 

Time Warner Cable (TWC) does not offer external drives at this time.  You may purchase SATA drives at electronics retail stores, but TWC will not support or install them.  If you have purchased one and are having problems, you should be directed to contact the manufacturer for support.

Storage space on SATA drives vary depending on manufacturer and model number.  A SATA drive with 160 GB of storage space would enable you to store up to 100 hours of standard definition TV, or up to 20 hours of HD programming external to the DVR itself.  In the event the setop box is full, you can move some recordings to the SATA drive rather than erasing or recording the stored information onto a VCR tape or DVD burner.  DVRs will not allow data to be recorded on or moved to the SATA drive until the DVR itself is full.  This is not user configurable.

I have not tested any of the above information, so I am unable to confirm or deny any of the information placed within my reply about this information, but I thought it might be valuable to have. Coming from a purely tech nerd standpoint, I would say, if you have nothing to lose, there is no harm in trying it, the worse thing that happens is it doesn't work.

Please use plain text.
Newcomer
Sloaner26

Does Time Warner Los Angeles have any plans to enable the USB port on the Motorola DCT3416 anytime soon?  What about SATA?  Ethernet?

Please use plain text.
Rookie
Tamrahn

How do you move recordings to the eSATA drive? Is it something you do through the remote or does the option appear when the eSATA is connected?
Please use plain text.
Observer
kennysmith71

This is not a true statement. Dish Network allows you to save all your recorded shows to an external hard drive, the catch is it can only be used for that. Once you unhook it from the box and hook it to your computer it wipes the content. However, it was nice having an additional 1TB of space for recorded shows.

Please use plain text.
Rookie
Reeltripp

I did this with a SA 8300HD but was not happy. The extra storage was nice but the DVR would reboot and format the SATA HD. Acted like a bad cable but newer cables did not fix. Got tired of reprogramming and got rid of the SATA for a second DVR.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ramair

You CAN save HD DVR recorded shows to USB on your computer.  You must use a video capture adaptor (Haupauge makes a nice one) and connect it via component video cable to the component video output of your cable box (HD DVR).  It saves the video in several selectable formats, MP4 and M2TS are the best to use.  You can then edit the saved video with several different video editing software programs, I like NERO 12 myself.  You can save your captured video to a large hard drive or burn to Blu-ray disks.  The HD DVR is not required for play back and the edited saved files can play on any computer or Blu-ray player.  This solution requires several hundred $$ investment, a fast computer and some technical ability.  It essentially duplicates what we did a few years ago with our analog VHS VCRs.

Please use plain text.
Newcomer
prley

I've been doing this for about 3-4 years on a SA 8300HDC unit. I hook an eSATA cable to an eSATA enclosure that has a 1TB drive in it. I usually change the drive in the enclosure every year or so usually in the summer when it's empty to get ready for football season. This has been working great for my setup. Just wish I could access the stored videos to watch elswhere.
Please use plain text.