Newcomer

Replacing TWC's all in one modem/router

Hey all,

Helping a family member as their wifi is just awful. They have a Ubee DVW3201 that acts as a router, modem and also their phone.

Was going to pick up an SB6141 modem and an AC68U router more than likely. Just not sure what to do about the phone?

Do I need to scope out a router with an RJ11 port or do convert RJ11 to RJ45? Never dealt with phone so not sure what options exist. Been searching and coming up shirt.

Thanks
5 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Replacing TWC's all in one modem/router

With TWC, not sure about Charter, the phone modem is free of cost (any cost is included with the monthly charges). There was no charge for installation to me probably because I was moving to a triple play package. They even ported my old number (very convenient) from AT&T.

Expert

[ Edited ]

hopefully you have good enough levels for an additional 3.5 dB loss splitter, you use the twc one for phone and yours for data.  If your US is higher than +48 dBmv or the DS is below -5 dBmv, another splitter won't work

While there's a lot of 6141's still in service, I'd suggest a 6183 as it will handle the extended bandwidth TWC's been pushing on us.

Newcomer

What do you mean? The phone and Internet are separate lines. Not sure I follow you on the splitter comment.

As for the modem, will look at options/cost. Thanks for the heads up.
Sharer

TWC won't let you use a customer owned modem for phone. You can have a separate  customer owned modem and router for data.

Expert

No, you need the splitter for the 2 seperate modems.. 1 TWC unit for phone, the other COAM unit for your internet.