Highlighted
Spectator

Replacing SA 8300 with new technology

So I've had it with the SA 8300 DVR box that I have.  There is always a lag with operating the guide and fast forwarding on the DVR.  I talked to customer service and they said that resetting my signal would fix the problem, which it didn't.  I asked them what I need to do to get a new DVR box and they told me that there isn't anything else available.  I then asked specifically if the SA 8300 was the best technology they offered and the service rep lied saying that it was the best technology they offered. 

What do I need to do to get a DVR box that operates properly?  It's gotten so bad that if I can't get a box that operates better I'll switch to AT&T just so I can properly scroll through a guide and fast foward without the ridiculous lag.

10 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Replacing SA 8300 with new technology

go to the nearest TWC storefront and see what they have to swap out.

You may have a signal level issue as well. what's the signal level and error log pages on your modem look like?

Lead Moderator

Poor quality operation/lag on your DVR can have various underlying causes.

We can certainly take a look at the account to try and determine if there are signal issues

that are causing this issue. 

If you will contact us directly at Forums_Help with your account number and verification of your service address we can get started. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Expert

[ Edited ]

Can you describe where the modem is in relation to the dvr splitter wise?

Are there any other devices on the cable or empty wall jacks/ open splitter ports?

Are all connectors a tad more than finger tight?

If your posted  modem levels are measured on the same splitter as the DVR/ cable box, YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES WITH BOTH!

your DS level at the modem is too low and indicates either too many splitters, open ports, old, water damaged coax or splitters.

DS level s/b in the -8 to + 8 range

US is an issue if over +50 dBmv and will not work at +54 dBmv...

You also need to lock the wireless to a channel to get rid of the constant interference -scan for a clear channel- action.  if 1-6-11 are an issue, try 3 or 8.

On the dvr, select a bad channel and hold down select for 10 seconds then hit the up arrow.

What is the IB level  as well as the tx/rx OOB levels?

The OOBrx (ds) levels if exceeding a -10 to +10 range and a TX (us)  level higher than +52 dBmv will result in slow MOD/ SDV channel lockup

You also have an ingress issue from local TV ch's 30-31-32 and probably others in the bandwidth that the DVR receives channels and data. That's due to a corroded or loose connector, bad splitter, open lorts, chewed up outside line, etc. If not obvious to you to correct, TWC needs to come out, TWC phone support should show "red" modem levels and in need of a tech dispatched with no questions.

Expert

while SA is old technology, a newer box won't fix poor/marginal signal levels. That's probably going to take a service call.

I'd complain about both TV and internet  and tell them the levels are out of spec if the DS is outside the -8 to + 8 range as you've found..

BTW, is this an apartment building?.... good luck, most are horrible.

Trusted Helper

[ Edited ]

jwo1003 wrote:

So I've had it with the SA 8300 DVR box that I have.  There is always a lag with operating the guide and fast forwarding on the DVR.  I talked to customer service and they said that resetting my signal would fix the problem, which it didn't.  I asked them what I need to do to get a new DVR box and they told me that there isn't anything else available.  I then asked specifically if the SA 8300 was the best technology they offered and the service rep lied saying that it was the best technology they offered. 

What do I need to do to get a DVR box that operates properly?  It's gotten so bad that if I can't get a box that operates better I'll switch to AT&T just so I can properly scroll through a guide and fast foward without the ridiculous lag.

Hello,

The SA boxes are dinosaurs.  You need upgraded equipment, but before you do that, you must get a tech out to check your signals and drop-lines.  A new box will not solve bad signals or line issues.  The tech will make sure that your signals are good before updating the box.

After the signals and lines are good, the tech will be able to give you an updated box with a better guide.  Try to get the ODN Navigator Guide on an Arris, Cisco, or Samsung Box  It has the following:

• All menus in HD
  • Expanded Search Navigation
  • Cover Art for Movies, Shows, and Series
  • between 500GB to 1TB of storage.  The six-tuner boxes can record six shows at once.
  • A new DVR Manager interface allowing the ability to delete multiple shows and series at once.

In a PM to Spectrum, set up a service call requesting a signal and drop-line test and requesting one of the boxes mentioned above.  You need a signal test, line test, and an updated model box.  Request that you do not want another SA model!  The PM request for a tech visit and new box should be sent, along with your account information to @Forums_Help  Let us know what happens!

Satch

Spectator

Thanks for the information, very informative.

They are on a splitter (not to mention the 2 splitters on the outside of the house from the drop line), but I've tried bypassing the splitter between the modem and cable box, using a different cable jack, and have still had the same issue.  I'll replace the splitters on the outside and see if that helps.  The box they are in isn't exactly water tight...

Spectator

Thanks Satch.  It appears there is a lot more going on than just the box.  I'll let you know if this fixes the issues.

Trusted Helper

jwo1003 wrote:

Thanks Satch.  It appears there is a lot more going on than just the box.  I'll let you know if this fixes the issues.

Yea,

There's  three mode speeds on the SA model boxes. "Very Slow,"  Extremely Slow", and "Wait for three button presses for the prompt to move at all."  The fifteen year old technology in those boxes is honestly an embarrassment to Spectrum.  I strongly encourage the upgrade to an Arris, Cisco, or Samsung box.  But remember, get a tech out to check your signals and line drop first.  A newer model box will not solve bad signals or line issues.

Satch

Spectator

Update, a great tech came out and took care of the issues. He checked the signals, replaced a splitter and said something about the line going to the Dvr didn't have the highest attenuation or something like that so he fixed that. He also hooked up a Samsung DVR and gave my wife a tutorial on how to use it. Very friendly and knowledgable guy.

Needless to say our issues are resolved