ACC
Rookie

Regretful

I am a new customer of literally 2 days. My internet/tv/phone services were installed very late June 1st. I realized that I lost all phone jack service the following morning because I was on the phone to cancel my AT&T uverse service and the phone hooked up to the modem died. I tried using another phone from the bedroom and it had no dial tone. Actually, all the other phones hooked to a phone jack were all non functional. I was not informed by the technician this was to happen. I called and I was told it is an easy fix and that I could probably do it myself but better to leave it to them. So June 3rd, a technician named Jacob showed up. So he came in and asked what is the problem. He should have already known because he should have a work order. He looked outside, then inside, unplugged the modem, looked in the AT&T outlet behind the shelf, unscrewed and screwed back, called someone on the phone out in the backyard (he is probably asking for guidance on what to do), came back in and told me that it will require more work than what I called in for and they are only sent for a certain amount of time so he will have to reschedule it. I bought into it. He called on his phone again out the front yard for a long while, meantime, the home phone rang and it was Spectrum. The guy on the line was asking me that I want somebody else to do the work. So I clarified and told him what really happened. He put me on hold, he was actually the person this tech was talking to. Now, I told him, don't make it look like I was the one who is at fault here for not getting this work done. He doesn't seem like he knows what he needs to do so he was the one who suggested to get somebody else more proficient with phone lines. The guy also told me that they are not bound by time, they need to finish the job no matter how long it takes. In short, Monday afternoon is when someone else should fix this, so I will wait and see. It is 30 day money back guarantee and I am now on the verge of cancellation after just 2 days of service.
4 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Regretful

Did you have two phone services (one from Spectrum, the other from AT&T) simultaneously?

How did they connect your Spectrum phone line to the house wiring?

ACC
Rookie

The tech connected my phone to the modem without telling me that all of our jacks would become non functional. So, no, the tech did not hook my phone to the house wiring.

I had AT&T first then switched to Spectrum after the install. I canceled AT&T the day after the install.

Spectrum said the tech should have told me what was going to happen with the jacks and should have made the necessary wiring changes to make them work but she did not. My husband's office can't use the fax machine.
Sharer

ACC wrote:
The tech connected my phone to the modem without telling me that all of our jacks would become non functional. So, no, the tech did not hook my phone to the house wiring.

I had AT&T first then switched to Spectrum after the install. I canceled AT&T the day after the install.

Spectrum said the tech should have told me what was going to happen with the jacks and should have made the necessary wiring changes to make them work but she did not. My husband's office can't use the fax machine.

The tech could have connected the house wiring to the Spectrum service, but doing so would disconnect the existing AT&T service rght then and there.  You can't have both connected to the home's internal wiring at the same time.  Not sure how your AT&T service was connected, but if it was POTS, there should be a modular plug junction box somewhere (possibly outside where the line comes in from the street) which would disconnect you from AT&T's grid.   With AT&T disconnected, the tech could then connect your Spectrum modem output to any jack in the house, and all phones should work.

What type of phone is currently connected to the Spectrum modem?

ACC
Rookie

They finally sent a knowledgable tech. It was a very easy fix. I could have done it myself. He plugged my phone back to one of my existing phone jacks, got another phone jack cable, plugged one end to their modem/router then plugged the other end to the old AT&T (blue) phone outlet and voila, all my phone jacks are working again.