Participant

Recording a televised program

I have a question about recording TV programs.  Why is it that the DVR will not record about the last minute of most shows?  I have to set the record time to cover that last minute to capture any given show in it's entirety.  This can lead to conflits with other scheduled programming.  Thank you!

11 REPLIES
Contributor

Re: Recording a televised program

I've noticed that it depends on the show and channel.  It is actually pretty rare, just very noticable.  Keep track of the problem ones, add a minute to those. 

Highlighted
Participant

yeah, it's the keeping track part that's a pain in the butt! lol

Expert

What's a minute anyway?

The DVR's should start a minute early and end a minute late to allow for TWC server time sync issues since they're not using GPS time...

I've seen the local news start before the cable box changes the hour, sometimes by 45 seconds!

That's a time sync error in TWC's mess of misprogrammed servers, My cell phone keeps better time.

Your only solution is to set manual start stop times adding a minute before and after the hour

Participant

Exactly!  for any show/series i want to record, i have to figure in that extra minute manually, and resolve conflicts as best I can. 

Expert

part of this is broadcasters game of not running commercials at the end of a program . It's to avoid channel surfs off the channel. They run the commercials 5 minutes before the end then the ending credits go straight into the next program. I need to change channels at :59 to catch the news beginning for example

The commercials used to be a buffer!

Valued Contributor

Verify the time of the DVR is correct (to the second).  I have had that happen once long time ago and a reboot fixed that.

Like has been said shows like to "hook" you by starting early and then showing the commercials once you start watching.  Most all news shows in LA (eccept after Ellen Degeneres since it takes a long time to end that show and they don't share screen with the closing credits like also is done by news shows) they start the top story to get you to stay on the channel.

Works the other end too, they will run a show minute long on purpose to get you to not change channels since all other shows have already started.

I say it is the channel/show programming that is causing your problem and I would tell them (network/show) you are missing a piece and that you might stop watching since you keep missing pieces on your DVR.

Only one show I have set-up to extend one minute in the series list.  We cannot have an automatic extend option because many times shows ending at say 8:00 PM need to use the tuner for show starting 8:00 PM and conflicts if extend one either way.

Sorry the ramblings - but also bugs me that they play these games.  TWC just passes what they get (unless yours or their system times are off).

/Dan

Participant

Yeah rebooting hasn't helped either.  Not much I can do to resolve network timing issues.  oh well! lol

Expert

any idea if the "6 tuner" dvr solves the overlap issue?

Participant

Honestly, i can't say that i know what the "6 Tuner dvr" is?