Observer

Recording a Sports Team as a Series

I just recently moved to an area with Spectrum. One of the things I like to do with my DVR is to record my favorite Baseball team and Hockey team. When i attempt to record, i find no option to record all their games (like you would do with a Series), they must be recorded one at a time. Several years ago, I had Charter as my cable provider. When i did, I was able to record a teams games as a "Series'". I moved from that area to another area that had NO Cable provider and was forced to go with either Directv or Dish. I choose Dish. With Dish I was able to record my teams as a "Series". I move again and this time choose Spectrum. I get my new Spectrum DVR and attempt to record my Baseball team as a "Series". I find NO OPTION to do that. It appears that I must record each game individually. 

3 separate Spectrum employees have confirmed this is the case. I cannot believe this as I'm sure thousands of folks would use this featire if available. And to make it available, it should be fairly easy for Spectrum to make a small programing change in it's software. All they need to do is to add a switch to add the question "Do you want to record this team as a Series?" with a yes or no answer. Answer yes, and all games will be recorded. Answer no and only the game on the guide will be recorded. 

Or perhaps there is another answer that somebody out there is using? Can you tell me what you do if you want to record all games?

Finally, if there is not a solution, is there a way to get Spectrum to do what should be a small, easy software change. I've spoken with at least 6 people at Spectrum to get the process started and none seem to believe that anything can be done. 

9 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Recording a Sports Team as a Series

A DVR schedules a series by reading which season and which episode of a "Series" is on the schedule, and which ones it hasn't recorded.  The information, such as "Season 6; Episode 7" is now provided at meta data in the schedule.  It not used to be that way.  So the software was re-written to take advantage of this new meta-data, and its possible that the ability to record a team's games was lost as a result.

The guide data for sports teams games don't contain the information that is required to trigger a "series" recording.

But assuming you still could, how would you address overtime, extra innings, and rain delays?  (My Replays have the option of padding a recording on the end, but I don't think that is a typical option with a cableco DVR.)  You DVR won't know, and typically the amount of time "allotted and scheduled" for a game is less than the game actually takes.  I'd hate to get home to watch a game an d miss the bottom of the ninth because there were too many pitching changes.

Observer

The Spectrum Software allows the user to end the recording later than the scheduled time. The longest time allowed is to record for two hours after the program is scheduled to end. this is usually long enough for Baseball Games, which, more often than not, end within 30 minutes of the 3 hours scheduled. Hockey regular season games are even easier as the average hockey game is about 2 1/2 hours, and if they go into overtime, probably no longer than 2:45 or 2:50, so adding 30 minutes usually works, adding an hour will properly record all games. Of course play off hockey can go a lot longer, so I usually record 1 or more of the programs that are scheduled after a game. That can be done for Baseball, too, but several hour delays and games going 15 or more extra innings might not be covered. How often does that happen? Probably no more than 1 or 2 games a season. 

Question regarding your answer. If Dish can record Baseball and Hockey (and probably other games too, I don't pay attention to pro football or basketball), why can't Spectrum do it?

Proven Sharer

@coover wrote:

Question regarding your answer. If Dish can record Baseball and Hockey (and probably other games too, I don't pay attention to pro football or basketball), why can't Spectrum do it?

I don't know.  I don't have the source code.  All I can do is postulate based on what I've observed being a DVR (ReplayTV) owner for over 17 years, and had to migrate from DNNA providing guide data to my DVR's to doing it myself with third party solutions.  One of the biggest changes I had to overcome was a change in what type of data is provided in a "guide", and this was a fair amount (5 years?) ago...  That may be the reason why it worked back then, and doesn't work now.  The guide data typically comes from the same source (was Tribune Media Services, maybe now it's Gracenote...)

Trusted Helper

@dstoffa wrote:

@coover wrote:

I don't know.  I don't have the source code.  All I can do is postulate based on what I've observed being a DVR (ReplayTV) owner for over 17 years, and had to migrate from DNNA providing guide data to my DVR's to doing it myself with third party solutions.  One of the biggest changes I had to overcome was a change in what type of data is provided in a "guide", and this was a fair amount (5 years?) ago...  That may be the reason why it worked back then, and doesn't work now.  The guide data typically comes from the same source (was Tribune Media Services, maybe now it's Gracenote...)

Agree,

Yea, the Guide data is now Gracenote.  I think that the program developers now consider series to be episodic in nature, and as you suggested, how would you do that for Sports Games.  The Spectrum Guides provide the early and late time expanders.  The problem is the postponement of games due to rain and could the DVR code accommodate those changes by moving the game to the next day in time?  I am not sure that it could.  Too many different boxes, models, and guides.

Spectrum is trying to consolidate guides and data across platforms.  Not an easy undertaking.

Satch

Proven Sharer

@Satch wrote:

Agree,

Yea, the Guide data is now Gracenote.  I think that the program developers now consider series to be episodic in nature, and as you suggested, how would you do that for Sports Games.  The Spectrum Guides provide the early and late time expanders.  The problem is the postponement of games due to rain and could the DVR code accommodate those changes by moving the game to the next day in time?  I am not sure that it could.  Too many different boxes, models, and guides.

Satch

Well, Replays used to have this "Theme" feature, where it would record unique episodes of a TV Show based on certain meta-data in the Schedule for that show.  It was good for gathering a good amount of episodes of a show.  It was not as crafty as Tivo's Season Passes, but was good nonetheless.

My RTV would record any show with certain Keywords provided it wasn't already recorded.  It may have just keyed on show title and episode title.  If there was no title, or a generic title / description was provided, it would record it anyway.  Some times I got several copies of a show becuase the description was too generic...

Do Spectrum DVR's have such capability to record all shows based on Key Words, such as "New York Rangers"?

For Sports, until Gracenote assigns a season (Say S2018 for the 2018 season) and episodes (Say, E122 for game #122 in the season) to each team's games, we may be out of luck... 

Trusted Helper

@dstoffa wrote:

@Satch wrote:

Agree,

Satch

Well, Replays used to have this "Theme" feature, where it would record unique episodes of a TV Show based on certain meta-data in the Schedule for that show.  It was good for gathering a good amount of episodes of a show.  It was not as crafty as Tivo's Season Passes, but was good nonetheless.

My RTV would record any show with certain Keywords provided it wasn't already recorded.  It may have just keyed on show title and episode title.  If there was no title, or a generic title / description was provided, it would record it anyway.  Some times I got several copies of a show becuase the description was too generic...

Do Spectrum DVR's have such capability to record all shows based on Key Words, such as "New York Rangers"?

For Sports, until Gracenote assigns a season (Say S2018 for the 2018 season) and episodes (Say, E122 for game #122 in the season) to each team's games, we may be out of luck... 

Yes,

Under Navigator Guide's current series coding system, the above system would have to be used to record a whole series of sports events related to specific teams and games.

The next generation advanced search boxes that run Navigator and the New Spectrum Guide have the ability to find specific sports teams, but lack the ability to record all games relating to that sports team.

I also would express concern that the legacy DVR's such as Motorola and SA, having such limited hard drive space 160GB of storage, that would be an impossible task.  Space would run out so quickly.  Testing and implementation could only be done on the 1TB four and six-channel modern DVR boxes.  Legacy Charter markets are still giving out two-tuner DVR's with guides on them from fifteen years ago, with storage space that is horribly small. (160GB.)  They need updated DVR's, very badly.

Legacy TWC markets have the option for more modern boxes and storage.  It's not only the adaptation of the series system for sports teams described above.  It's having the DVR storage space to handle a whole series of a sports teams' games.

Satch

Observer

Thanks, guys. 

I think, however, i found a solution. By searching for MLB,  I get an option to record the Series. After choosing that option, I get an option to select the channel for that option. In other words, I can record all MLB games on Channel 2, or Channel 371, or ... My teams are mostly on a specific channel ... unless they are on national television, so I am able to record the majority of their games. When on national tv, i must record that manually. 

Trusted Helper

@coover wrote:

Thanks, guys. 

I think, however, i found a solution. By searching for MLB,  I get an option to record the Series. After choosing that option, I get an option to select the channel for that option. In other words, I can record all MLB games on Channel 2, or Channel 371, or ... My teams are mostly on a specific channel ... unless they are on national television, so I am able to record the majority of their games. When on national tv, i must record that manually. 

Glad you found a solution!

If this works, please mark this topic by selecting "Accept as Solution."  Than it can go into our forum database to assist other customers.  Thanks!

Satch

Observer

@coover wrote:

Thanks, guys. 

Apparently, not the solution. After trying this, i have checked the next several games and I find that none of them are set to record.