Observer

Recording Programs on *MY* Equipment

Dear Time Warner Product Planners:

Do you understand that, by requiring the use of the DTA, you have made all of my investment in home AV equipment worthless??

I have a number of devices with digital tuners that I could program to select a channel and record a program. These are the modern equivalent of the old VCRs which I imagine there are still lots of people who have been using to record programs to watch at a later time.  Since the DTA is now required to tune to a channel, the tuners in these devices are no longer useful.

This would not be a problem IF there was a way to program the DTA to tune to a particular channel at a particular date and time.  Then, we would be able to program our recorders to record the incoming signal at the appropriate dates and times, and program the DTA to change the channels as needed.  This requires multiple steps to accomplish, but at least it would enable us to record our programs on the equipment we already have invested in without requiring us to go buy even more stuff.

The user interface to program the DTA would not need to be very complicated. It technically does not need to know anything about the duration of programs. All you need to do is set a date, a time, and a channel:

DATE SELECTION:

• Minimally, just being able to say Month/Day would suffice, although it would make recording a series a bit more difficult since each instance would require a separate entry. 
  • Being able to say "Daily" or "Weekly on day-of-week" would greatly enhance series recording and could be implemented via a simple selection menu:
    • Month/Day"
    • "Daily
    • "Every Monday"
    • "Every Tuesday"
    • etc
  • Being able to select a start and stop date for a series would be nice, but not necessary.

TIME SELECTION:

• As previously mentioned, you really only need to select an event [start] time. Remember, all we need to do is tune to a particular channel at a particular date/time combination.

CHANNEL SELECTION:

• Could be as simple as just keying in the channel number.
  • Could be as complicated as selecting a channel from the channel list.

If I had a DTA Software Development Kit, I would write the code for you and you could make it available to anyone who wants it.

PLEASE?

Thanks!

Everyone's Tags (4)
5 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Recording Programs on *MY* Equipment

ChiefEngrNY wrote:

Dear Time Warner Product Planners:

Do you understand that, by requiring the use of the DTA, you have made all of my investment in home AV equipment worthless??

I have a number of devices with digital tuners that I could program to select a channel and record a program. These are the modern equivalent of the old VCRs which I imagine there are still lots of people who have been using to record programs to watch at a later time.  Since the DTA is now required to tune to a channel, the tuners in these devices are no longer useful.

This would not be a problem IF there was a way to program the DTA to tune to a particular channel at a particular date and time.  Then, we would be able to program our recorders to record the incoming signal at the appropriate dates and times, and program the DTA to change the channels as needed.  This requires multiple steps to accomplish, but at least it would enable us to record our programs on the equipment we already have invested in without requiring us to go buy even more stuff.

The user interface to program the DTA would not need to be very complicated. It technically does not need to know anything about the duration of programs. All you need to do is set a date, a time, and a channel:

DATE SELECTION:

• Minimally, just being able to say Month/Day would suffice, although it would make recording a series a bit more difficult since each instance would require a separate entry. 
  • Being able to say "Daily" or "Weekly on day-of-week" would greatly enhance series recording and could be implemented via a simple selection menu:
    • Month/Day"
    • "Daily
    • "Every Monday"
    • "Every Tuesday"
    • etc
  • Being able to select a start and stop date for a series would be nice, but not necessary.

TIME SELECTION:

• As previously mentioned, you really only need to select an event [start] time. Remember, all we need to do is tune to a particular channel at a particular date/time combination.

CHANNEL SELECTION:

• Could be as simple as just keying in the channel number.
  • Could be as complicated as selecting a channel from the channel list.

If I had a DTA Software Development Kit, I would write the code for you and you could make it available to anyone who wants it.

PLEASE?

Thanks!

My recommendation,

Would be to just ditch the tuning adaptor and get a TWC box.  If there is a cost issue, contact TWC and see if they will give you a price break for a year. You will be able to do more with the box than with the DTA.

Keep in mind that TWC is moving to an all-digital platform around the country, and it looks like the Charter Merger has been allowed.  Subscribers got a letter about the all-digital format or soon will be getting one.

There are concerns with the DTA among them:

• TWC Customer Care agents are not well-trained in third-party software that they do not support.
  • DTA's often stop working when a cable provider updates the line-up.
  • The loss of PPV/VOD and other impulse two-way communications with a DTA.

I can't find that letter now, but what are the requirements for DTA's relating to the all-digital line-up concerning rental fees and options?

Satch

Highlighted
Expert

Yes you can, use the IR blaster to change cable box channels, works like a charm

Sharer

I use an IR blaster to change channels on the DTA and it works just fine.

Observer

Perhaps you could share the configuration of your set-up.  What "IR Blaster" are you using? How do you set up the program schedule so the blaster can send the appropriate commands at the appropriate times?

Thanks.

Expert

You set the VCR or dvd recorder to use an external cable box and select Scientific Atlanta codes and be sure the DTA doesn't have the sleep timer on

You also need to make sure the DTA accepts IR codes, some might be set to rx rf only like the technicolor ones.

Then, Check with a universal remote set to do SA IR codes to verify the ch U/D works