Newcomer

Recorder

So we can't fast forward on shows we record?
3 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Recorder

Hi Chuck,

A couple of things if you are new to Spectrum services:

This may seem obvious, but it is worth mentioning that you must have DVR service in order to record shows.  If you have DVR service, you should be able to record MOST shows.

However, you will not be able to record Video on Demand Shows.  You might not be able to record Music Choice channels or possible PPV special events due to copyright issues

On Demand is a separate entity that allows you to watch shows within three to seven days after their original network broadcast.  This is known as Free on Demand.

If you subscribe to any Premium Channels, (i.e HBO, Showtime) you automatically get the On Demand equivalent of that channels.  Shows will be offered for weeks to months and are available by being downloaded from the network server to your box.  You can't record On Demand.  However, you can watch when you want.  On Demand Movies that are not free, or part of your Premium Channels Subscription have a purchase fee of anywhere from $2.99 to $10.  Average cost is about $6.00.  They can't be recorded, but can be viewed generally at least 48 hours from the time of ordering.  The cost of the movies are on the pre-order screens.

You should be able to record other shows and series without issues if you have DVR service.  What is happening when you try to record?  What are you trying to record? If it is not On Demand or Music Choice it should be recordable.  What message do you see if any when you set up a recording?  Is this a new box that you got from a Spectrum Store?  Or was it installed by a tech?  In rare cases, people come home with DVR's and the DVR service codes are not on the account.  This can be fixed with a simple phone call.  Are you trying to record off Spectrum TV.com?  If so, new DVR boxes may take up to 48 hours to work with Remote DVR Manager,   Answers to these above questions will help us arrive at a solution.  Remember the DVR limitations talked about above.

Looking forward to your response.

Satch

Newcomer

I'm not having trouble recording. I have DVR service. But when I record a TV show and in playback I cannot go fast forward
Trusted Helper

@chuck27271wrote:
I'm not having trouble recording. I have DVR service. But when I record a TV show and in playback I cannot go fast forward

Hi Chuck,

Provided that the show is fully recorded, (the little red recording light is off on the DVR) you should be able to rewind and fast-forward its content.  I would recommend a cold reboot of the box if the above applies to you.  Power off the box and unplug it.  Wait for about five minutes.  Plug the box back in and allow it to reboot.  Wait for a few minutes for any updates to download.

Next try to play back a recorded show and fast-forward the content.  If you still can't do it, you may need a service call.  Sometimes with new or swapped boxes, the Info bar does not fill in when fast-forwardeing.  A reboot fixes this  If you can't fast forward at all, following the cold reboot, you will need a service call. 

Satch