RC122 Volume Control via Samsung HW-HM45C Soundbar

I have a Samsung Soundbar (model HW-HM45C). It is connected to my Samsung tv via the digital optical audio port FROM the bar TO the back of the tv. I am unable to get my RC122 remote to control the volume. I have to use the soundbar remote for any volume adjustment. 

I tried connection get the soundbar directly to the back of the set boxes audio out, and still no luck. 

The soundbar has a usb port that I could connect to the tv. And it also has a small yellow hole that says AUX IN, but I don't have a cable that fits that hole and I don't know what the other end should look like or where it would be plugged into.

I tried programming using the AUX button and entering in the codes for Samsung,  but nothing worked. And I've tried chatting with some rep online, but that got nowhere fast. 

ANY solutions would be greatly appreciated. 

3 REPLIES
Expert

Re: RC122 Volume Control via Samsung HW-HM45C Soundbar

Does the soundbar have an HDMI in port on it?

If so, you connect that to the tv's ARC hdmi port and the tv's volume control will adjust it.

The small hole is for a male to male 3.5 mm stereo patch cable to go to the tv's headphone jack

Sorry if you've received this response multiple timesources.

Soundbar has a HDMI IN & OUT port. TV has 2 HDMI ports labeled 1 & 2, but neither say ARC. Both tv and soundbar have a usb port.

Am I out of luck without an ARC port?

Soundbar has a HDMI IN & OUT port. TV has 2 HDMI ports labeled 1 & 2, but neither say ARC. Both tv and soundbar have a usb port.

Am I out of luck without an ARC port?