Participant

Question about DVR Equipment

We have had our Cisco DVR - 8742HDC - for some time. I was wondering if there are newer/better DVR equipment available? The DVR is a 'Whole House' unit that can record programming for viewing on all TVs. I suspect some of my audio and video hiccups may be related to the box but I wondered if there was a DVR that is better than all the rest and has all the latest technology? I ask because I know with Comcast there are multiple boxes that provide the same service but are not equal in technology and function.

Everyone's Tags (2)
11 REPLIES
Valued Participant

Re: Question about DVR Equipment

Well, if the FCC has it's way, you may be able to buy any cable box you want by next year. 

Of course, I wouldn't hold my breath cause I'm sure the Cable cos will fight this tooth and nail.

Here's a link if you're interested in this news:

http://fortune.com/2016/01/29/fcc-cable-box/

Expert

This is more than likely a signal level/intermittent issue. If you have twc internet, copy anp paste the modems signal and error log pages from 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

It has better line trouble logging than the dvr's do

Trusted Helper

MsRaye wrote:

This is more than likely a signal level/intermittent issue. If you have twc internet, copy anp paste the modems signal and error log pages from 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

It has better line trouble logging than the dvr's do

Agreed,

The user has a new modern box.  Updating it would not solve his issues.  In addition to Ms. Raye's suggestion, posting what your signal levels are, she will be able to look.  Don't reset your modem or reboot your box if you can avoid doing so, as this will wipe out the error logs that she needs to evaluate.

If there is ingress (noise) on the line, the user should highlight those signal levels, arrange for a tech call, show them to the tech, and possibly replace the cable drop line.  Or it could be an issue down the street, or with the main junction box in your neighborhood.

This is not a cable box issue.  I would ask the tech to leave the box alone and check the lines.

Satch

Participant

OK - will check those things and get tech out. According to Cisco the 8700 series is nearing product end. The most current line of Cisco boxes is the 8600 series, which apparently TWC supports and has.

Participant

Where might I find this info? I logged into the Arris box and went to Utilities and got the log which just shows TCP packet info - source and destination address info.

Expert

what you do is look at your cable modems logs that probably correlate to the dvr issues.

If you hold in select on the DVR remote for 10 seconds and hit the up arrow, you only get a signal snapshot, There is an error counter but it's only looking at FWD errors and can't correct them

It also displays the RF frequency and the Out Of Band up and downstreams which are the boxes internal cable modem levels

Highlighted
Participant

I will leave that diagnosis to the tech - hopefully they will be trained on how to diagnose signal levels.Being intermittent in nature, I hope something can be observed.

Helper

The 8742 is a pretty good DVR with a high end hard drive One hundred hours, its not too old. As others have said the six tuner DVR is added cost. I love my 8742, it never fills up.
Trusted Helper

jhiller5 wrote:

I will leave that diagnosis to the tech - hopefully they will be trained on how to diagnose signal levels.Being intermittent in nature, I hope something can be observed.

Sounds like a good plan!

When is the tech coming out?  Let us know what happens.

Satch