Rookie

Pressing Left on remote no longer brings up menu on the STB/DVR

My cable box got a software update today (possibly just an outage as it kept giving errors and calling Spectrum gavea recording that said there was some kind of outage in the area), but Internet, Phone and the Spectrum App were unaffected, just the cable box.  In any case, after I got back from the store, it was working again.  BUT now when I press left on the remote, I no longer get the "Menu" like I used to.  Pressing the Menu button on the cable remote brings it up, but the issue is that my Samsung  QLED smart remote used to be able to control 90% of the remote functions (e.g. it can control my AppleTV as well) from its remote for everything in my system including Spectrum.  I can still get to the guide directly by pressing the channel button twice, but I see no way to get to the "Menu" without using the cable box remote.  Pressing "left" now just shows the "info" menu and moves left/right in time on it and up/down moves up and down on it whereas before pressing LEFT brought up the MENU (same as menu button) which also matched the behavior of the Roku "App".  This let me get to the menu from the (very sparse) Samsung QLED remote and access things like the DVR from it.  Now I have to keep the STB remote handy or I cannot access those functions anymore without it.  

My question is whether this is a software update "change" (i.e. did people complain about 'left' bringing up the menu when they already have a menu button with the actual STB remote?) or did the box go back to an older version of software or something before you could press left to get to the menu? 

It would be nice if there was a preference option to define this behavior as I would prefer to use just one remote for my entire system as much as possible instead of having to keep a pile of remotes around.

6 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Pressing Left on remote no longer brings up menu on the STB/DVR

@RobiS wrote:

My cable box got a software update today (possibly just an outage as it kept giving errors and calling Spectrum gavea recording that said there was some kind of outage in the area), but Internet, Phone and the Spectrum App were unaffected, just the cable box.  In any case, after I got back from the store, it was working again.  BUT now when I press left on the remote, I no longer get the "Menu" like I used to.  Pressing the Menu button on the cable remote brings it up, but the issue is that my Samsung  QLED smart remote used to be able to control 90% of the remote functions (e.g. it can control my AppleTV as well) from its remote for everything in my system including Spectrum.  I can still get to the guide directly by pressing the channel button twice, but I see no way to get to the "Menu" without using the cable box remote.  Pressing "left" now just shows the "info" menu and moves left/right in time on it and up/down moves up and down on it whereas before pressing LEFT brought up the MENU (same as menu button) which also matched the behavior of the Roku "App".  This let me get to the menu from the (very sparse) Samsung QLED remote and access things like the DVR from it.  Now I have to keep the STB remote handy or I cannot access those functions anymore without it.  

My question is whether this is a software update "change" (i.e. did people complain about 'left' bringing up the menu when they already have a menu button with the actual STB remote?) or did the box go back to an older version of software or something before you could press left to get to the menu? 

It would be nice if there was a preference option to define this behavior as I would prefer to use just one remote for my entire system as much as possible instead of having to keep a pile of remotes around.

Hi,

Generally updates are done between 2am-5am on Tuesday mornings where you will see sets of numbers counting down on the box that are different than the traditional box reboot.  Spectrum recommends not using your TV at all during these update times to help insure that the updates go well.

Updates are always geared towards and for the boxes, remotes, and equipment provided by Spectrum as part of the monthly service.  If you are using third party devices, it is possible after any software, hardware, or firmware updates that the third party devices may work differently, or unfortunately may not work at all.  The way it is set, is that Spectrum, like any other TV, cable, or Internet vendor, can only provide limited support to any products or services that are not theirs, meaning that are not rented monthly by the customer.

If your outage was not during an update time, it may be due to maintenance.

Satch

Rookie

Thanks, but I wasn't really asking whether it was an actual update or not (something happened while watching CNN and it rebooted and said it had an issue booting and then that it was updating software and repeated this a few times; calling Spectrum is what told me there was some kind of "outage" in the area).  By the time I got back from going to a store, it was working again.  I don't know whether it actually "updated" anything or if it simply wasn't able to boot while some kind of repair was being made in the area.   

REGARDLESS, my reason for posting was about why the "Press left for MENU" function had seemingly changed.  I was hoping perhaps some other people could say whether their box also no longer functions that way or from Spectrum whether it's a GUI change.  I preferred the left for menu since as I said my Samsung smart remote could operate almost everything the regular cable box remote could as long as I could get to that menu like that.  The Samsung remote only has around 9 buttons.  It relies on multiple uses and menus to do more than it appears.  But it assigns the functions based on talking to the Spectrum set top box.  For whatever reason, pressing left no longer brings up the MENU for whatever reason.  This changed immediately after whatever event happened above.  Again, I don't know whether this was a change/update or the software reverted to an older version or something to that effect.  All I know is pressing left on the Samsung (or STB remote) no longer brings up the menu.  I have to press the MENU button on the set top box remote instead and I'm wondering why this change had occurred as it significantly reduces the effectiveness of my Samsung remote (i.e. I have to keep the set top box remote handy now whereas I rarely needed it before).

Newcomer

When I press the guide button on the left of the remote it brings up the listed channels on the tv screen but I can no longer scroll through them.  It worked fine yesterday.

Trusted Helper

@DebMcDinSC wrote:

When I press the guide button on the left of the remote it brings up the listed channels on the tv screen but I can no longer scroll through them.  It worked fine yesterday.

Hi Deb,

Do you have the guide like the one shown at this link?  It is known as "The Guide" or ODN Navigator 8.0:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/new-guide.html

Pressing the left-arrow button should bring up the Quick Settings Menu shown in the photo below.  Is that what you see?

Satch

STB Quick Settings Menu.JPG

Trusted Helper

@Satch wrote:

@DebMcDinSC wrote:

Hi Deb,

Do you have the guide like the one shown at this link?  It is known as "The Guide" or ODN Navigator 8.0:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/new-guide.html

Pressing the left-arrow button should bring up the Quick Settings Menu shown in the photo below.  Is that what you see?

Satch

STB Quick Settings Menu.JPG

Checking this out,

Using the Spectrum Remote in my area of Wisconsin brings up the above menu when the left-arrow is pressed, which is the correct response.  Note that third party remotes may use different codes that may not work after a software update. Users, as this issue shows, should use the Spectrum/TWC  remote provided with the Spectrum cable boxes for best results.

Satch

Rookie

That's exactly what was NOT happening here (NE Ohio) when I press the left arrow after the story I posted originally (i.e. deb is not the original poster; I am.  She never said she had this left arrow problem; I did.   She said she couldn't scroll up or down in the guide once it came up.)  When I pressed left, it would just show the "Info" overlay and then left/right arrows would scroll through the previous/upcoming times instead.

I checked the firmware and it seems to have not changed since March.  So I just tried rebooting the cable box again from the menu and now the left arrow menu is now working like it was once again.   So I solved my own issue.