Highlighted
Browser

Picture to large for TV screen

I've had this problem for years.  The edges of the picture are lopped off on both sides.  It didn't use to be so noticeable but lately there have been more instances where part of the action or text is at the edges and is not viewable.  I was watching a talk show recently where they were showing a youtube clip and everyone was laughing but since it was on the left side of the screen the funny part was lopped off.  I went to settings to try to change the picture size, again, but that option has been removed.  How can you adjust the display so the entire picture is viewable?

5 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Picture to large for TV screen

kjdd wrote:

I've had this problem for years.  The edges of the picture are lopped off on both sides.  It didn't use to be so noticeable but lately there have been more instances where part of the action or text is at the edges and is not viewable.  I was watching a talk show recently where they were showing a youtube clip and everyone was laughing but since it was on the left side of the screen the funny part was lopped off.  I went to settings to try to change the picture size, again, but that option has been removed.  How can you adjust the display so the entire picture is viewable?

Need some information on your TV, box, and general set-up.  Answer as many of these questions as you can.  This will help us troubleshoot the issue:

1.) What brand/ type of TV do you have?  Is it HD?

2.) Box make and model number?

3.) What type of cables do you connected to the TV?  Users must use HDMI or Component Cables for HD TV work.

4.) Do you have the TWC Navigator or I-Guide On-Screen Guide?

5.) Have you had other providers before TWC, or used over the air TV, where the TV settings might have changed?

6.) Have you ever hooked up an antenna to this TV and noticed the picture problems?  If you have bi-passed the cable settings, the problem may be with the TV itself.  Or the settings on the TV.

7.) Have you checked your TV Remote (Not the TWC remote) but the remote that came with your TV to make sure that the picture settings match your set-up?

8.) How old is the TV?

9.) On the box, find your settings for Output Resolution, Picture Size, and Aspect Ratio, and reply to us what those are at this time.

We can than use your answers to troubleshoot.  However, we need to get more data about your TV, box-type, and cable set-up configuration.  Hope we can help!

Satch

Everyone's Tags (4)
Browser

I have 2 TVs that I watch daily.  One has a DVR box(1) and the other does not (2).  I have the same picture issue on both sets.

1) 1-Toshiba, not HD; 2-Visio, HD

2) 1-Cisco 8742HDC; 2- no box

3) component for both

4) TWC Navigator on both

5) no other providers

6) never used an antenna

7) 1-image shape is set to NORMAL; 2- picture shape is STANDARD

8) 1- approx 8 yrs; 2- less than 1 year

9) 1- Output Resolution= 1080i, Picture Size=Normal , Aspect Ratio= 4x3. note that these settings are listed in the High Definition menu and this TV is not HD. 2-n/a

Thanks for the help.  A technician once told me that this issue was caused by the signal that TWC sends.

Trusted Helper

kjdd wrote:

I have 2 TVs that I watch daily.  One has a DVR box(1) and the other does not (2).  I have the same picture issue on both sets.

1) 1-Toshiba, not HD; 2-Visio, HD

2) 1-Cisco 8742HDC; 2- no box

3) component for both

4) TWC Navigator on both

5) no other providers

6) never used an antenna

7) 1-image shape is set to NORMAL; 2- picture shape is STANDARD

8) 1- approx 8 yrs; 2- less than 1 year

9) 1- Output Resolution= 1080i, Picture Size=Normal , Aspect Ratio= 4x3. note that these settings are listed in the High Definition menu and this TV is not HD. 2-n/a

Thanks for the help.  A technician once told me that this issue was caused by the signal that TWC sends.

Thanks for the help!  It will be interesting to see what the techs say.  I am not a tech, but have helped people with basic cable issues for abouit ten years.  Before doing anything else:

Double-Check This For Us:

For the TV that is not HD, all you will be able to get would be standard resolution anyway, so you would need to set  the SD TV to 420p and deselect the other resolutions.  For the SD set, set it to 4x3.  Is there a difference with the picture oversizing that you are experiancing when you view SD channels in Stretch vs Normal Mode?  I am not sure with regard to Stretch or Normal Navigator settings, designed for an HD set, how this would show on a 4x3 TV.  But I do know that for the SD TV, all you will be able to get is the 420p resolution.

However, for your HD TV:

Your Aspect ration for the HD set needs to be set to 16x9.  Make sure of that

Set your Output Resolution to Auto (for the HD set Only) OR select the 1020i setting for the HD TV only.  If Navigator says that setting is not supported, select the 720p setting.  Uncheck the 420p setting.

For the time being-, set your picture size to Stretch. (Stretch only works on the SD channels by eliminating the side-bars.)

If none of this works, you may have to set up a service call for signal and line tests.  I guess my question would be, what settings does this customer need to use for their Navigator box on an SD set?  If we can get your Navigator settings adjusted to prevent the over-sized picture on both sets, than it was a cable settings issue. 

On the other hand, if it is determined that following the box setting' advice produces no changes in the over-sized picture. you would need to set up a service call to have signal and line tests done.  The good news in all of this is that, there does not appear to be anything wrong with either of your TV's.

I wish I could be more help with the SD set.

Satch

Browser

Thanks.  I made the adjustments to the HD set.  I'll have to wait for the news to see if the weatherman is still lopped off.  Bummer on the SD set.  It is my main TV.  There is not a 420p option for the resolution.  The only choices are 480p, 480i, 720p and 1080i.  I set it to 480p.  Now it's just wait and see.  I have had several service calls because I have many issues with the DVR.  They tested the signal, replaced the cable to the house, replaced the cable to the main TV with a different size cable and replaced the DVR many times.  I still have DVR issues.  Sometimes I wish I still had my VCR.

Trusted Helper

kjdd wrote:

Thanks.  I made the adjustments to the HD set.  I'll have to wait for the news to see if the weatherman is still lopped off.  Bummer on the SD set.  It is my main TV.  There is not a 420p option for the resolution.  The only choices are 480p, 480i, 720p and 1080i.  I set it to 480p.  Now it's just wait and see.  I have had several service calls because I have many issues with the DVR.  They tested the signal, replaced the cable to the house, replaced the cable to the main TV with a different size cable and replaced the DVR many times.  I still have DVR issues.  Sometimes I wish I still had my VCR.

Sorry!

I meant the 480 setting, not 420.  With all the DVR's you had, were you ever given an SD DVR and had that connected to the SD set?  Could you maybe post a picture for us if you get the lopped off image again?  It sounds like you have done everything and there is still something that is not quite right.  Did you notice a difference when you changed the Navigator settings for the HD TV?

There seems to be some missing link between the SD set and that HD box, IF the lopping comes back again.  Is the looping worse on some channels than others?

Satch