Observer

Phone service issues after replacing modem

Recently I went from TWC internet, tv, and phone to only internet and phone. Basically dropped tv because I watch local tv most of the time.

Was told a new modem would be sent so that I get Spectrum services.

Installed modem yesterday at 3pm....internet worked but phone had no dial tone.

Tried online chat but lost connection with first person after about 30 minutes of trouble-shooting. Since I was not changing my service my phone should have worked.

Second person on chat....had me do reboots, try other phones and finally said my order was still open and would take probably hours to close...but scheduled a tech to come to my house today. After almost 2 hours I still had no dial tone yesterday,

This morning I found dial tone, phone worked for calls...but NO VOICEMAIL. Where were/are my messages....back to online chat then later on phone this morning it was discovered my Voicemail was no longer active! WHY????

Service person said he would get it reactivated but that may take 24 HOURS!

I do not understand why just switching s modem, per TWC, did I
1. Lose phone dial tone for over 7 hours
2. Lose voicemail ...showed not active
3. Takes 24 hours to deactivate

Bottom line is I've spent 4-5 hours dealing with issues just because I was told to install new modem.

Anyone else have issues after you switched to the Technicolor TC8717T modem? Why the hours of delay?
10 REPLIES
Observer

Re: Phone service issues after replacing modem

I meant " 3. Takes 24 hours to reactivate"
Expert

Yup, the entire switch is pathetic.. what was your old modem?

another force to Spectrum ploy gone bad, no wonder they're losing customers!

Observer

Don't know what the old one was. Packed it up for return. Had it 4-5 years with no issues. Still no voicemail since I switched modems 3pm yesterday. Today they said it could take up to 24 hours to get my voicemail back...it's been 12 hours since that conversation and no voicemail yet!

Hopefully it will be working tomorrow morning!
Observer

If they can't figure this out tomorrow (Friday) then I'll drop all my services and find a new provider for both internet and phone. I've spent 4-6 hours troubleshooting a simple modem swap. Just about ready to quit TWC -Spectrum.
Spectrum Employee

When phone service is involved, its not a "Simple" switch. Your phone service was originally provisioned to the specific modem you had it on previously. Phone is not just associated with your account and any modem you get from us will work automatically with it. If you installed the new modem prior to the work order being closed, then the proper switch would not take place automatically. Chat is rarely ever the best place for true troubleshooting. You needed to speak with a Tier 3 rep who could process a device transfer in real time. And last I checked, voicemail does not take 24 hours. That is also something a Tier 3 rep could get activated with you on the phone.

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Newcomer

DSchroeder how do we get to a tier 3 technician directly without having to spend so much time being transferred and repeating our issues? I've just upgraded and they gave me new ubee modem and having phone issues also.
Spectrum Employee

Rtk-Ohio wrote:
DSchroeder how do we get to a tier 3 technician directly without having to spend so much time being transferred and repeating our issues? I've just upgraded and they gave me new ubee modem and having phone issues also.

The IVR (computer voice lady operator thing) that you get when you call in can take you to Tier3 if you...

A) have phone service, which the OP does

B) tell the computer operator your issue is with phone.

Tier1 and Tier2 do not deal with phone troubleshooting, only Tier3 is customer-facing for phone support... so yeah that's how @Rtk-Ohio.  Smiley Wink

It's not an issue with the TC8717T, that's actually one of the better & newer rental modems we provide (it provides 4-channel 80 MHz wide 5.0 GHz WiFi bonding and is easy to configure SSIDs, Keys, and Channels); what you are describing @Tom123 sounds like just an issue with software provisioning.

Spoiler
Frankly @Tom123, I don't think the Chat Support has full training or access to the proper tools on how to handle the phone provisioning... To my knowledge, unless things recently changed, Chat Support just makes a ticket for PAC to handle it at a later time.  That's probably why they told you 24 hours, they put in a ticket for somebody else to handle it (and when they have the time to process the ticket, not immediately). 

I can also concur that phone voicemail activation takes minutes, not a day.

Spoiler
I don't want to go into specific names of tools or back-end processes going on in phone transfer stuff, but it's a lot of variables that are easy to get mixed up.  For example, the biggest one that causes phone not to automatically transfer is when the switch is built with "Insight_BL" as the serial #, instead of the actual serial #.    It's just a software quirk of areas that used to be former Insight, and then now former TWC, and are now "legacy TWC" under Charter.  It's a small glitch in the "automatic" processing that takes mere minutes for a Tier3 (customer-facing) or ATS (field-tech-facing) agent to correct and republish the provisioning.  And even if you have to completely deprovision and then reprovision everything to fix the issue, it takes only a matter of minutes once you've done a number of them (speaking from experience here).  Practice practice practice.  An experienced employee is key when it comes to advanced troubleshooting, which was the original intent when TWC created Tier3.

I'd also recommend customers take advantage of the opt-in options for the so-called "Peace & Quiet features" for Nomorobo and Call Blocker Plus to help really cut-down on telemarketer spam calls. Provide the Tier3 agent with your Customer Code (4-digit code found on your bill) for authentication and we'd be happy to activate those opt-in features too. Win-win.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Observer

In the end I finally talked with someone who said I just needed to press the " activate voicemail " online at my account. Nothing magically was going to "turn it back on".

So after working with 3-4 different people over 2 days, I got my voicemail back working. Of course I lost any messages that were on it.

With technology today, that's poor service. Poor instructions, chat people couldn't do much. Calling technicians...well first one said just wait 24 hours....and nothing changed. It took about 5 seconds once the last person told me to just activate online. And no one seemed to know if I'd get my missed messsged or not. Seems like support should be trained on how to support.
Observer

If support cannot handle an issue then they need to transfer customers to someone who can ...and not just say it will be ok in 24 hours.
It wasn't ok in 24 hours. I could have had it fixed 30 hours sooner ...if they would have told me to activate online via my account. I hope I wasn't being billed for time without dial tone , for 2 days of no voicemail