Newcomer

Phone Modem sending out Wifi and SSID's repeatedly ask TWC/Spectrum to turn off the Wifi radio

I have used Time Warner now Spectrum for my internet for two years. I attempted to use their Triple play plan two years ago. I ended up cancelling all service besides internet because they wouldn't fix this issue.

I have my own modem and router. I do not want or need Wifi sending out a signal and sending out SSID's from my home. I called last night. The clerk immediately turned off the Wifi radio. The minute I hung up the phone is was back on sending out an SSID, actually two SSID's.

The TWC phone modem/router has a stronger signal and competes with my Wifi. I called back this morning. The clerk was extremely rude and kept saying he could not control my Wifi because I have my own modem and router.

I repeated that I wanted the wifi signal disabled on the phone modem. He said it was turned off. I has not been turned off, I can see the SSID's and see the signal competing with mine. He claimed I needed a technican.

I do not need a technican. I need access to the phone modem/router or I need it turned off by TWC/Spectrum. I do not know why they just won't turn off the radio!

I am returning my equipment and going back to just internet.

I attempted to access the router and modem myself. This isn't an issue only I am having with TWC. Here is a link of someone having the same issue.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30250483-Phone-How-to-disable-WiFi-on-phone-only-Arris-TG1672G

I don't understand why you would lose a phone and cable customer in leui of just turning off the radio signal.

Any suggestions before I turn in this equipment?

3 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Phone Modem sending out Wifi and SSID's repeatedly ask TWC/Spectrum to turn off the Wifi radio

wrap it in aluminum foil and at least a foot up the coax, power and telco lines(all together , not seperately)

Spectrum Employee

Re: Phone Modem sending out Wifi and SSID's repeatedly ask TWC/Spectrum to turn off the Wifi radio

[ Edited ]

Myusername wrote:

I have used Time Warner now Spectrum for my internet for two years. I attempted to use their Triple play plan two years ago. I ended up cancelling all service besides internet because they wouldn't fix this issue.

I have my own modem and router. I do not want or need Wifi sending out a signal and sending out SSID's from my home. I called last night. The clerk immediately turned off the Wifi radio. The minute I hung up the phone is was back on sending out an SSID, actually two SSID's.

The TWC phone modem/router has a stronger signal and competes with my Wifi. I called back this morning. The clerk was extremely rude and kept saying he could not control my Wifi because I have my own modem and router.

I repeated that I wanted the wifi signal disabled on the phone modem. He said it was turned off. I has not been turned off, I can see the SSID's and see the signal competing with mine. He claimed I needed a technican.

I do not need a technican. I need access to the phone modem/router or I need it turned off by TWC/Spectrum. I do not know why they just won't turn off the radio!

I am returning my equipment and going back to just internet.

I attempted to access the router and modem myself. This isn't an issue only I am having with TWC. Here is a link of someone having the same issue.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30250483-Phone-How-to-disable-WiFi-on-phone-only-Arris-TG1672G

I don't understand why you would lose a phone and cable customer in leui of just turning off the radio signal.

Any suggestions before I turn in this equipment?

Sounds like some more CSR (phone/chat support agent) training is needed...

The modem's AWG settings can only be modified if there's AWG service codes that tell it to turn on.  The steps would be to temporarily add in WiFi service codes, send hits (command signals to said modem to update it), and then get into the control panel and uncheck the "enable" flags on the WiFi.  There are cases where the remote access tools won't let you log in, the only solution then is to send a field tech out to correct it or do it yourself.  Which model do you have specifically?  I might be able to give you steps on how to disable the wifi flags yourself, to turn the antenna off.

Bottomline, it's both service codes and the control panel firmware inside the gateway modem.  So say if you "disable" the WiFi boolean flags to turn the antenna off, but your account's billing service codes are for WiFi to be on, it will keep turning the antenna back on each time the modem takes a refresh hit.  That's why when you got off the phone with the clerk in the first call you had, the WiFi came right back on.

Please send in feedback of the approximate date & time and your account number to the forum moderators@Myusername , so we can get a possible coaching sent in on the second agent you spoke with (the one that insisted that because you had your own wifi they wouldn't get involved, which is partly true but they clearly weren't really listening and/or understanding what you were trying to get accomplished).  The call's recording can be pulled and coached accordingly, but only if you actually send in feedback...  Sorry for the annoyance/rudeness, not all employees are equally experienced unforunately.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.

I've gone through 3 modems since deciding to add a DVR and go back to cable. I have my own modem and want wifi to stop (I've been using the internet and phone service through time warner). By adding the DVR/box the phone stopped working. I got an arris modem for phone and called. Spoke to Marcus, then Nicholas, then an overly confident woman who said the other two were not patient. She said it needed to be replaced. Again. Few hours later around midnight I have no phone no internet. Spoke to another gentleman and he said they configured my modem wrong. Got me back on line and phone working. Had be hook laptop up to modem and it was stuck in upgrade mode. Said to swap it out for a non-wifi model. I go to the Eastgate location in Cincinnati and only have wifi modems. I get a technicolor brand. Come home and speak to another person who states he removed all the transmitting codes so it won't interfere with MY wifi. My phone can "see" the two broadcasting wifi channels so ... it still interference. I'm at a loss. I literally signed up Sunday and have spoke to 5 technical people and I'm back at lost time, still wifi signals transmitting. At the end of the week I'm returning the DVR when I can get back there and switch to another service. The lady at the store told me I wouldn't have an issue if I use the wifi, no actually I wouldn't have this issue if 1) one of the FIVE people could help me or 2) I didn't have to waste all this time if were not charged for a device for phone use.
If you can fix this by all means I've been patient to everyone I've spoken to but this is pathetic.