Not applicable

Out dated equipment

Why is spectrum using outdated equipment still? Back home in VA we have Xfinity.  They are what I say almost 5-10years more advance then this company.   The remote is bulky right along with the box.   It constantly goes in and out due to outages.   I really miss xfinity a lot due to the layout of the programming and how their box works.   I am still within the 30 day period and I am highly considering just using my apple tv

3 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Out dated equipment

@justinmiller46 wrote:

Why is spectrum using outdated equipment still? Back home in VA we have Xfinity.  They are what I say almost 5-10years more advance then this company.   The remote is bulky right along with the box.   It constantly goes in and out due to outages.   I really miss xfinity a lot due to the layout of the programming and how their box works.   I am still within the 30 day period and I am highly considering just using my apple tv

Hey Justin,

A couple of helpful; tips that should give you better service:

If your cable is going in and out, call Spectrum for a signal and drop line test.  This is a check of your equipment and wiring as well as your main drop line that goes into your home.  Corroded wiring due to weathering and animal chews can cause problems with your drop-line and signals.  When you set up this signal and drop line test, you will need to avoid rebooting any equipment such as boxes, modems, or routers for six hours prior to your service call (or more.)  Reboots of equipment will reset the error codes and the tech needs to see those.

Best guess is that you had an independent Spectrum contractor just hook up your box and leave.  The signal and drop-line test will be done by a Spectrum in-house technician who will investigate your wiring inside and outside the home.  Replaced equipment will not solve bad wiring. You may also have a problem further down the main trap.  Our inside cable line was dead and wiring was thirty years old, we had that replaced and everything works very well now.  You need a signal and drop line test.

The tech may also have given you one of the older dinosaur boxes. (SA or Motorola models with the ancient guide on it.)  All the newer boxes have a modern guide on them. The new World Boxes are four-tuners with 1 TB of storage.  The new guide offers all menus in HD, expanded search navigation, series folders, cover art for movies and shows an easy to use Quick Search navigation tool at TV turn on, An On Demand Portal with Cover Art and a Kids portal.  It's very modern.  But you need one of the modern boxes: Arris, Cisco/Technicolor, Humax to get the modern guide:  Your guide should look like this:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/new-guide.html

Set up that signal and drop line test using the above recommendations and make sure you have the modern box and guide.  Also, have the tech, who is coming out stay for a good twenty to thirty minutes to make sure that the box is OK after checking your signals.  We want to make sure that the box does not phantom reboot.  If your services are OK for thirty minutes after the install, you should be all set.  It sounds like the independent contractor did not do his pre-install prep work at all, just hooked up a box and left.  Post back with the results of your follow up service call.

Satch

Newcomer

These modern boxes are not available in the Terre Haute, Indiana market per Spectrum representative today. We converted to digital last week and so far things are a mess. We were told picture quality would be enhanced, internet speed increased and more channels. All of these promises appear to be false. Instead of the Golf Channel I get the Cricket Channel of which I have no knowledge or interest. 

Ant ideas or maybe now is the time to cut bait.

John Gibbons

Trusted Helper

@Jdgibbons wrote:

These modern boxes are not available in the Terre Haute, Indiana market per Spectrum representative today. We converted to digital last week and so far things are a mess. We were told picture quality would be enhanced, internet speed increased and more channels. All of these promises appear to be false. Instead of the Golf Channel I get the Cricket Channel of which I have no knowledge or interest. 

Ant ideas or maybe now is the time to cut bait.

John Gibbons

Hi John,

Did the rep have any idea of when the new boxes would be out in your market?  What's the make and model of the boxes that they are giving out in  Terre Haute?  What is your current Spectrum service package on your billing statement?

Wish I could help more with the newer boxes for you!  Best advice would be to go to a Spectrum Store and ask about what new deals they might have for existing customers.  You MIGHT (knock on wood) be able to move into a promotion package for a year.  Customers have reported that going to the Spectrum Store to ask about deals seems to be working better than calling on the phone.  See what they can do for you, and see if they can move you into a plan that includes the Golf Channel.  They also might know when the new boxes and guides might be coming to your area. 

Customers have said  that as long as you are nice to the reps, they are nice back.  I would go to a Spectrum Store/Office and ask about deals.

Satch