Expert

Northern Ohio Spectrum/TWC to turn off all analog and clear qam Aug 1st

No more cable ready or direct connected tv's or devices, DTA's will no longer be furnished, will require a 2 way cable box for each set.

More info here:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/verify/verify-will-cable-customers-be-charged-more-with-time-warner-s...

"depending on what class of service you have will set up how many boxes you get for free and for how long... Current rental on these is now $5 a month but like the 99 cent DTA's that are now $3.75 a month.... well.....

6 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Northern Ohio Spectrum/TWC to turn off all analog and clear qam Aug 1st

MsRaye wrote:

No more cable ready or direct connected tv's or devices, DTA's will no longer be furnished, will require a 2 way cable box for each set.

More info here:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/verify/verify-will-cable-customers-be-charged-more-with-time-warner-s...

"depending on what class of service you have will set up how many boxes you get for free and for how long... Current rental on these is now $5 a month but like the 99 cent DTA's that are now $3.75 a month.... well.....

In Wisconsin,

They did this last year.  No more Direct Connections.  I think this means Digital Tuning Adapters as well, but not sure.  It's part of the move to an all digital platform, allowing Spectrum and other cable providers to control services remotely instead of sending out techs.

Satch

Expert

No more DTA's per Spectrum as they were one way and a disaster to troubleshoot, most were customer and improperly installed as a tv tuner can go below -40 and still get a watchable picture.

some on houses that still had the 30 year old single channel Showetime/ cinemax/HBO traps inline.

Established Sharer

DTAs are still supported on most legacy TWC plans in legacy TWC areas, but once you make the switch or are eventually forced to switch to a Spectrum plan the DTA is not supported. Some local offices still have them to replace if one breaks, others do not. 

Expert

I'm seeing repeats of this story and it's unknown if the boxes the media is claiming are needed are DTA's or full cable boxes but the rental fees are $5 a month.

Under a Spectrum contract, there are no DTA's available, only a technicolor or Arris cable box.

But again, that's only in a certain marketting area, which looks like Northern Ohio, western PA and some of Indiana

I'll know more next week if they indeed cut off all the analog and clear qam, but it's coming out of at least 5 different head ends and doubt all will be cut on the same day (they don't have techs available and the phone lines will be overloaded.

Established Sharer

On a Spectrum plan in my area, DTAs are not available. Set top boxes are $4.99 each, and add $11.99 for DVR "service" for up to 4 boxes. Over 4 boxes has a $19.99 DVR service fee.

Sharer

MsRaye wrote:

I'll know more next week if they indeed cut off all the analog and clear qam, but it's coming out of at least 5 different head ends and doubt all will be cut on the same day (they don't have techs available and the phone lines will be overloaded.

When they pulled the plug on analog and ClearQAM in my market, they did it a few channels at a time.  The feed of the analog channel would be replaced by a static "night light" picture reminding the viewer:

1.  Your TV is working.

2.  You will need additional equipment to view this programming.

3.  Please call  ____ or visit your local TWC store to learn how to get your picture back.

When I went to get my DTA's, I was advised by the staff that they planned to stagger the switch to prevent a mob...

But this was two years ago.  Who knows what they'll do now...