Newcomer

No sound. I have rebooted tried the HDMI cord. picture but know sound

4 REPLIES
Browser

Re: No sound. I have rebooted tried the HDMI cord. picture but know sound

We've lost sound once in a while lately and turning off the TWC dvd and turning it back on always gets sound back.  If you have a dvd from cable co you might

try doing that.

Seasoned Contributor

@patnhank: I think you mean DVR.

@nan2pic5: If you have a DVR, what is the brand/model and whether it's a DVR or regular HD box, how old is it? I ask about the model because if it's an older model similar in appearance to the non-DVR Motorola DCH3200, you can turn off the box and go into the hidden menu by pressing the menu key, either on the box itself or on the remote. Move the cursor to "Additional HDMI settings," and press either OK/Select or the right arrow next to OK/Select make sure the HDMI Mode setting is set to HDMI, not DVI. HDMI provides both audio and video, whereas DVI only provides video. Sometimes, that setting can get messed up (not sure how, but [bleep] happens; my next-door neighbors, who do not know about this "hidden" menu, called me over once for a similar problem with their Motorola DCH3200, the picture-without-sound issue, and in their case the HDMI Mode setting being set to DVI turned out to be the reason). If you have had this box for a long time, maybe this might be a sign that it might be about to stop working. How long have you had this issue?

I would pretty much rule out the HDMI cord as the culprit, since, as stated above, the HDMI cord transmits both picture and sound. If the steps I listed above don't work, you might need a new box. Hope this helps.

Spectrum Employee

Make sure the audio output is enable for HDMI on the settings menu for the device you are using.  Usually there will be more than one option for the audio output on digital devices, like HDMI when using using an HDMI cable, Dolby Digital for when you are using an optical cable, Stereo for regular red and white rca jacks, etc etc.  But if you only have an HDMI cable plugged in and any other option is selected, you won't hear anything.

Newcomer

We have those new Cisco adapter units Time Warner made us purchase for all our TV's without a DVR. It is very common for us to lose sound requiring us to reboot the adpater and hope that the sound comes back. Calling Time Warn is time consuming and difficult to understand what they are saying. Appears they outsource thier tech support only complicating the problem.