Rookie

New cable box won't work. Boots, wrong time displated, shows channels on screen, no picture

Hi all,

I have a Samsung smart Tv (2 years old) and have always used the little analog to digital converter box only. Spectrum just bought out TWC and gave us opportunity to have  much more for a few bucks less, but needed full cable box. It came yesterday and I followed directions impeccable. I even got the remote synched with my TV. But after it boots, it won't actually work. It goes thru the whole boot process, then displays different things like L-9, L-6 etc. all the way down to L-1 then shows the time, except it's one hour behind.

Once the boot is done and I hit the power switch on the cable box, I can use the remote and on the TV you can see the "bar" on the bottom displaying the channel, what's showing, etc. but nothing shows on the screen except "to get this channel, call 1-866-xxxxxx etc.  After a few seconds the TV just shuts off or goes to sleep. I've had the signal sent 5 times, rebooted at least 12 times. (removing both the power cord and the cable in)

I do have a TWC tech coming tuesday but I'm a DIY'er and it's driving me crazy that I can't figure this out.  I did not use the new cables that came with the box. but the old ones weren't very old and worked fine. Everything else works on the TV (Roku, etc.) and honestly we can get all the channels and then some using the ROKU anyway ... but thought I'd put this SOS out and see if it rang any bells. Thanks all. 

2 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: New cable box won't work. Boots, wrong time displated, shows channels on screen, no picture

[ Edited ]

hotwired wrote:

Hi all,

I have a Samsung smart Tv (2 years old) and have always used the little analog to digital converter box only. Spectrum just bought out TWC and gave us opportunity to have  much more for a few bucks less, but needed full cable box. It came yesterday and I followed directions impeccable. I even got the remote synched with my TV. But after it boots, it won't actually work. It goes thru the whole boot process, then displays different things like L-9, L-6 etc. all the way down to L-1 then shows the time, except it's one hour behind.

Once the boot is done and I hit the power switch on the cable box, I can use the remote and on the TV you can see the "bar" on the bottom displaying the channel, what's showing, etc. but nothing shows on the screen except "to get this channel, call 1-866-xxxxxx etc.  After a few seconds the TV just shuts off or goes to sleep. I've had the signal sent 5 times, rebooted at least 12 times. (removing both the power cord and the cable in)

I do have a TWC tech coming tuesday but I'm a DIY'er and it's driving me crazy that I can't figure this out.  I did not use the new cables that came with the box. but the old ones weren't very old and worked fine. Everything else works on the TV (Roku, etc.) and honestly we can get all the channels and then some using the ROKU anyway ... but thought I'd put this SOS out and see if it rang any bells. Thanks all. 

Hello,

I assume this was a self-install and not a Spectrum tech install.  What needs to happen is that you need to activate your box.  log into "My Account" and after you do that go under Troubleshooting for TV and select the options for activating your box.  This may take about twenty minutes or more.  Post back and tell us how that goes.  Boxes that are not activated will do exactly what you described above.  I used the "My Account" options to activate my box.  I had to do the process twice to get it to work.

Satch

Spectrum Employee

Re: New cable box won't work. Boots, wrong time displated, shows channels on screen, no picture

[ Edited ]

If what Satch suggest does not succeed, then box pairing needs to be checked.  

Pairing is essential for channel authorization on Tru2Way boxes like the ODN box you've mentioned.

Also, when you have issues like what you're describing (clock being wrong) it could be because that outlet's upstream/transmit/return signal is too high for the box to be able to do.  But because the box booted up fully, I'd suspect it's mostly a CableCard pairing issue.

Tier1 (USA-based video repair service) is best trained to take care of this.  Give us a call, as to get to a Tier1 agent.  Ask that agent to check to make sure that box isn't sitting there "unpaired". I've been seeing trendly lately with some of  our overseas contractors in Cebu, Bacalod, and Ortigas not knowing how to check to see if pairing hits are going through successfully or not knowing what pairing is...  It's been driving up unnecessary truck rolls for techs.

And if pairing does not succeed?   Then I have 3 words:

EZ. Connect. Rescue.

Older boxes didn't need 2-way communication, they were dumb-fire listen-only devices (only received, no transmit).  ODN boxes are better for a number of reasons, not to mention soon going to be a requirement in many areas, but they DO require good upstream signal power levels as well as downstream.   Essentially, they've got a little DOCSIS modem inside them and a CableCard that unencrypts the encrypted QAM signals.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.