Highlighted
Spectator

My phone service goes out only during rainy weather

I have new TWC/Spectrum service - tv, internet, phone - installed on Dec 7, 2016.  I previously had Verizon Fios (then taken over by Frontier Fios) with the same 3-way package. Since the installation everything works fine except the phone goes out during rainstorms.  When the weather clears the service returns to normal. During 2 calls to TWC/Spectrum [ including tier 3 phone support] the diagnosis was made that my NID was getting wet and that I need the NID cover to be repaired or replaced. Both times I was told that was my responsibility, TWC/Spectrum does not service equipment outside the house, and I should get an electrician. When the TWC/Spectrum installation was made, I was told TWC/Spectrum just piggybacked onto the installation I already had (meaning Verizon/Frontier NID box).  Now, my electrician tells me that it's "a telephone" problem and I should deal with the phone company. So, who can I get to repair or replace the NID cover? Verizon gave up the business to Frontier, I no longer have Frontier service so can't imagine they're interested, and TWC/Spectrum disowns any responsibility. Today i duct taped a trash bag liner over the box in anticipation of more storms this weekend - looks pretty goofy. 

Your comments will be appreciated. 

11 REPLIES
Expert

Re: My phone service goes out only during rainy weather

Is this phone service from TWC via your cable modem?

Does it feed into a wall jack to feed various jacks throughout the house?

Is the RJ-11 jumper unplugged in the outside box to disconnect your house from the PSTN?

You shoulda called an AV tech not an electrician...

In the mean time plug in a phone or cordless phone base station ionto the modem only and don't use the house wires.

Spectator

Yes, the TWC/Spectrum phone service is through my ubee cable modem, provided by TWC/Spectrum

Normally, it does feed into the wall to feed various jacks throughout the house. When the weather is dry, this setup works well and all jacks are live.

On the advice of the tier 3 phone support person at TWC/Spectrum, I unplugged my phone line from the wall jack and plugged my cordless phone base station directly into the phone 1 port on the modem. That allowed my 3 cordless phones to work find but my corded phones did not work and those jacks were inoperable. once the weather dried out I could return to the previous configuration - phone line from wall into phone 1 port on modem and all worked fine. 

I don't know anything about the RJ-11 jumper in the outside NID box. 

Also, I wonder if the TWC/Spectrum installer ever went into the NID box (as my wife suspects) and perhaps a portion of wire was stripped and that is getting wet. 

My wife keeps reminding me that we didn't have this problem until after the TWC/Spectrum installation and subsequent rain storms. 

Expert

look in the box... is the jumper in or out? Full of a wasp nest?

Trusted Helper

dancedoc47 wrote:

Yes, the TWC/Spectrum phone service is through my ubee cable modem, provided by TWC/Spectrum

Normally, it does feed into the wall to feed various jacks throughout the house. When the weather is dry, this setup works well and all jacks are live.

On the advice of the tier 3 phone support person at TWC/Spectrum, I unplugged my phone line from the wall jack and plugged my cordless phone base station directly into the phone 1 port on the modem. That allowed my 3 cordless phones to work find but my corded phones did not work and those jacks were inoperable. once the weather dried out I could return to the previous configuration - phone line from wall into phone 1 port on modem and all worked fine. 

I don't know anything about the RJ-11 jumper in the outside NID box. 

Also, I wonder if the TWC/Spectrum installer ever went into the NID box (as my wife suspects) and perhaps a portion of wire was stripped and that is getting wet. 

My wife keeps reminding me that we didn't have this problem until after the TWC/Spectrum installation and subsequent rain storms. 

I would say this is a case with the line drop inside being wet or corroded, and the wet weather is dropping the phone signal.  I also think you are getting the run-around from TWC-Spectrum on getting this fixed.

Ask TWC-Spectrum to open up a support ticket and escalate this issue.  Do this by sending a PM to @TWC_ForumsHelp with your name, address, phone#, and account number and a description of this issue.  Let them know about the loss of phone service when it rains, and ask them to check the drop line and your service signals.  The drop line may need to be replaced.

Satch

Spectator

BTW, what's an "av tech" and how does one find such a person?

Expert

[ Edited ]
Lead Moderator

@Satch  Our technicians would not work on home wiring of this sort. This indeed

would be the responsibility of the homeowner.  We support up to the modem. 

If the telephone works direct to the modem during bad weather but not through

the phone wiring specific to the home this would be outside the scope of our support.

Regards,
Julia R.
^TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Spectator

ok, that is the response I keep getting.  Now, may I have some guidance? Who exactly can I get to provide such support? Frontier (formerly Verizon)? Since I cancelled service with them to join you, do you suppose they would want to offer service? Verizon? it is a Verizon NID box I see on the side of my house and your installation tech said he used the existing equipment on and in the house to do the iinstallation. But Verizon got out of the home wired phone/Fios TV/Fios internet business when it sold out to Frontier. 

I am willing to pay out-of-pocket to have the problem diagnosed and fixed, but need some direction as to where I can go. And, how can we be sure WHAT the problem really is until and unless a proper on-site inspection has been done? 

Established Sharer

TWC/Spectrum only provides support to the modem so getting them to fix your existing wiring won't happen. Have you tried calling Verizon/Frontier? I'm sure that you probably won't get anywhere with them since you are not their customer. AV tech is an audio/visual tech. You can probably find someone local via Angie's List or other similar service.