Modem broke?

Third time this week alone my home phone says no line and I have no internet. Can the modem being " going out"? It's at least 3 years old or more. I'm not tech savvy but have some how been able to "reset and retrieve" service. I'm also leasing modem. What to do?
2 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Modem broke?

It's probably a coaxial issue, Can you copy and paste the modems signal level page from 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1?

What lights are flashing?, what model is it?

You probably need to call TWC out.

I doubt it's the modem.

Spectrum Employee

Re: Modem broke?

Possible preminary causes based on what you wrote, in order of what should be tried to be ruled out first with troubleshooting to last:

• Power supply issue (no lights on modem) or buzzing/crackling sound coming from the modem.
  • Lack of signal on coax wire issue (DS/US lights flashing endlessly).  One can emulate this by unscrewing and then leaving the coax wire disconnected from the modem for several seconds.
  • Insufficient, or intermittently insufficient signal levels (need the modem signal level and error logs for this)
  • Ingress-related noise on the line (can only determine this with a field tech coming out on-site with a repair appointment you schedule).

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.