Rookie

Main Menu - Frequent Pop-up

So I am not sure if this is just an anoying feature that can be turned off, or if this is an equipment issue.

-The Main Side Menu (Watch TV, Guide, On Demand) just randomly pops up on the screen while I am watching T.V. = Annoying

-I initially thought it may be a glitch with the remote, so I removed the remote from the room and the issue still remained.

-I have reset the cable box, but this did not fix the issue either. Since I just started the service, I do not have a previous standard to compare it to.

Any insight is much appreciated - Thanks in Advance.

8 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Main Menu - Frequent Pop-up

@Minnkota32 wrote:

So I am not sure if this is just an anoying feature that can be turned off, or if this is an equipment issue.

-The Main Side Menu (Watch TV, Guide, On Demand) just randomly pops up on the screen while I am watching T.V. = Annoying

-I initially thought it may be a glitch with the remote, so I removed the remote from the room and the issue still remained.

-I have reset the cable box, but this did not fix the issue either. Since I just started the service, I do not have a previous standard to compare it to.

Any insight is much appreciated - Thanks in Advance.

Hello,

That menu is the Quick Settings prompt on the newest version of The Guide, (a.k.a Navigator 8.0) which is only supposed to be turning on under the following conditions:

• The box is first turned on.
  • The left-arrow is pressed.
  • The Menu Button is pressed on remote.
  • The A button is pressed on remote.

Questions to help investigate this issue further:

• Where are you located?  City, State, Zip?
  • Make and model of cable box?
  • When did this issue start happening?  Are there any patterns to the Quick Settings menu popping up, or is it completely random?
  • Do you have any other problems with your box or Spectrum services?
  • Have you tried a cold reboot of the box?  Power the box and TV off for five minutes, the same with the TV.  Unplug the box for five minutes, and than reboot.

Please do the cold reboot of the box if you have not already done that.  Than report back to use with the answers to the other bulleted questions above.

Note that by providing your box make and model, and location, (City, State, and Zip) our mod team will than reach out to that division to determine if this is a system bug in your area, or a problem localized to your equipment.  If it is an equipment issue, we would have to dispatch a tech for a signal and drop-line test, and if that was good, a swapping of the cable box.

Satch

Rookie

Spectrum Cable Box
Make: Spectrum (Possibly Cisco based)
Model: Spectrum 101-H

*Like I said, originally thought may be a glitchy remote; however issue still happens even when remote is removed to another room with no LOS.
*I also am only having this issue with the cable box. My DVR in the living room appears to work properly.
*I just got the service a week ago, so has always been the case.
*Quick settings popup is random. Or at least appears to be. Could be I notice it more often if I am tuned into watching a movie.
*I had previously rebooted the box.
*I just got done with the cold reboot process and have noticed no positive change, the Quick menu keeps popping up. Sometimes it stays around longer than others. If anything it is popping up more constantly now after doing the cold boot

Rookie

It actually is constantly popping in and out on the screen now...probably 15 or so times per minute at least
Rookie

Even just noticed it popping up and kicking me out of the setting screen.. Way worse now post cold boot process
Trusted Helper

@Minnkota32 wrote:
Even just noticed it popping up and kicking me out of the setting screen.. Way worse now post cold boot process

Greetings,

Since the pop-up menu showing up on its own is getting worse, I would say get a tech out to check your signals and drop line.  Don't reboot any equipment for six hours so that an accurate signal level can be obtained.

However, this sounds more like a bad box.  The signal levels must be checked first to make sure that they are OK.  Let us know what happens.  Ask the tech to see if he can stay for about a half hour just to make sure that the new box is not doing this random menu box pop-up as well.

Satch

Rookie

I will schedule an appointment. 

I would hope to lean on the side of a bad box since I had a tech out here for the install and assume signal levels should have checked out OK at that time.

Thanks for the guidance.

More to come......

Trusted Helper

@Minnkota32 wrote:

I will schedule an appointment. 

I would hope to lean on the side of a bad box since I had a tech out here for the install and assume signal levels should have checked out OK at that time.

Thanks for the guidance.

More to come......

Great!

Keep us posted.  You probably had an independent contractor for the install.  They are much less experienced.  Often just hooking up the equipment and leaving.  Service calls are done by in-house techs who should do a much better job.  Make sure he checks your signals and line drop.  He should.  That has to be done before checking the box.

Satch

Highlighted
Rookie

They came out and replace the Box after looking at the diagnostic screen. Everything seems to be good at this time thanks for the communication