Rookie

Is it normal to have to reboot every day?

I need to reboot my box every day to be able to watch tv. Is that normal, or am I just lucky?
8 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Is it normal to have to reboot every day?

Nope, it's not normal

is there only a 2 way splitter for the modem and box?

Rookie

I have had periods of the same problem too.  Have to reboot everyday for both TV and internet.  All is now on a power strip that I can power cycle to reset all devices.

Highlighted
Expert

Both are serious issues and require TWC/Spectrum technical support.... I've gone 8-12 months without having to reboot anything.

Phone support is useless as they can't fix anything, most issues are coaxial and need a tech that can find and repair the issue.

We have to turn our tv on 15 minutes before we want to watch because it says Not Connected at first, then it says unable to connect, then it sticks on the same picture that was on the tv when first turned on. Can't do a thing while tv is "frozen". Very unhappy with Spectrum, the issues, the phone calls and cost.

Sharer

str8shooter1117 wrote:

We have to turn our tv on 15 minutes before we want to watch because it says Not Connected at first, then it says unable to connect, then it sticks on the same picture that was on the tv when first turned on. Can't do a thing while tv is "frozen". Very unhappy with Spectrum, the issues, the phone calls and cost.

It's a wiring issue that phone support cannot fix.  It requires a tech visit to your home to perform a noise survey.

There are some things you can do.  Maybe they help, maybe they don't, but they are worth a try.

1.  Ensure EVERY Coax F-connector is slightly more than finger tight.  Check the F-Connectors in junction boxes bhind wall plates.

2.  Make sure that all unused cable outlets are properly terminated with a 75-ohm resistor.  Better yet, make sure they are disconnected from the splitter to whcih they are attached, and the splitter is replaced with a coupling.  The number of splitters used in your home should be kept to the absolute minimum.

3.  All cables should show no visible signs of damage (frayed insulation, etc.)

4.   Remove any and all surge protection.   The cable company's grounding block is all the surge protection you should need.  Consumer "surge protectors" are not well constructed, and are a point of noise ingress into the system.

The issue is either RF Noise from local OTA Broadcast (TV) ingress to the cable system, or cellular phone interference ingress.  The problem might not even be in your home, but in your neighbors home, or out in the street.

If you are also an internet customer, post your modem's diagnostics.  It will tell us right away if this is a noise issue.

Expert

May also be an HDMI CEC/ARC/HDCP issue Use a different port on the tv and or turn off CEC, do not use the ARC capable port on the TV, it should only be used for a sound bar or hdmi audio receiver.

Do not turn the box off, just the TV, there is no power saving

Trusted Helper

For everyone on this thread,  Note the following:

Splitters and cheap power strips can reduce signal strength by at least 50%.  Remove them.

You should be able to go six months without rebooting.  If not, you need to contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test.  Avoid rebooting any boxes or modems for at least six hours, than do not reboot because the tech needs to see the error codes for the signal and drop line test.  The main junction box on your street needs to be checked.  Wire connections to the main tap.  Inside connections, quality of HDMI cable.

Set up a service call right away.  This is not a box issue, it is a signal /drop line issue.

Satch

Expert

Need to see the modems signal and error logs, will show line issues. 

I've seen HDMI issues as well on Dish, DirecTv and TWC boxes with HDMI connections. To reset those, you need to unplug either the TV or the cable box but the TV needs to be turbned on when you plug in the cable box or vice versa.

Solution is to go to component if a pin 13 CEC lift adapter in the HDMI doesn't fix it.