Trusted Helper

Important Information and Tips About The New Spectrum Guide.

New Spectrum Guide-Known Issues, Updates, and Workarounds.

Feel free to add to this list.  As the New Spectrum Guide is a new On-Going Developed Cloud-based system, it is regularly updated and customizable to the user experience.  Here are some things to know about its development at this time:

*So I got confirmation that for the TWC markets getting the Spectrum guide that the CIDTV feature is not functional yet and they are working on an update for that but no ETA.

*Also for those who do an instant upgrade through the guide for additional channels or are a new install, the guide may show gold keys on it for the first 24-48 hours for channels that you are subscribed to however if you go to the channel without using the guide, it will tune into it.

*Also a bug for those with DVRs with Spectrum guide, if all the tuners are recording at the same time, VOD will just show a black screen if you try to use it as no tuner is free.

*The instant upgrade should be coming to the TWC Spectrum guide within the next few weeks.

*Also if you turn on the tv and get no audio, they recommend to just change the channel and then go back to the station you want and the audio should be there. This is a know issue that will eventually be fixed in a future update.

One thing I highly suggest is to setup a purchase pin on the boxes so no accidental upgrades can get processed as it should prompt for the pin if one is set before the upgrade can process.

Satch

11 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Important Information and Tips About The New Spectrum Guide.

More Updates:

1.) Supervisors of some divisions are requesting a state/city/box timeline for the New Spectrum Guide deployment.  Right now, there are confirmed areas with the New Guide on World Boxes Only in regions of Texas, New York, North Carolina,  (September 8, 2018.)

2.) Only World Boxes and markets that have the New Spectrum Guide have the New Spectrum Guide at this time.  That means that the Spectrum Guide is not available on other boxes,  Just World Boxes, new account installs, and mailed World Boxes. (If your area does not have the New Spectrum Guide, your World Box will run Navigator or I-Guide.)

3.) What I find hard to believe is that it is being reported that once you have World Box with the New Spectrum Guide on your account, you can't go back to a different box or a different guide.  The claim is that the cloud service functionality of the World Box is pinged to your account and cannot be removed with another model box.

4.) The New Spectrum Guide has bugs, so you may want to hold onto your existing box and guide for as long as you can.  Or if The New Spectrum Guide is in your market and you are concerned about the bugs, you can try to get a box that isn't a World Box, (and therefore, won't have the new Spectrum Guide on it. yet.)

5.) A 12-24 month migration period is planned for The New Spectrum Guide.  Here is the PRELIMINARY PLAN PHASE:

A.) Spectrum Guide deployed on New World Boxes/New Accounts/Mailed World Boxes.  This is happening now in the above markets (now-late 2018.)

B.) Continued roll-out of New Spectrum Guide to more markets in New World Boxes/New Accounts/Mailed World Boxes. (Throughout 2019.)

C.) Deployment of Spectrum Guide to existing Enhanced DVR and non-DVR boxes with most modern boxes first/newest boxes first.)   Boxes if the field runnig Navigator or I-Guide. Planned order is:

1.) Current World Boxes in the field running Navigator or I-Guide.

2.) Enhanced Six-tuner DVR makes and models in the field. Modern Arris/Cisco/Technicolor/Samsung boxes DVR and Non-DVR boxes (by end of 2019)

D.) Deployment of Spectrum Guide to remaining legacy boxes and DVR's in the field. This would be SA models, Motrolla's and Pace boxes. (2020.)

Boxes that support Docsis 3.0-3.1 built in modems will use a direct cloud-based service where everything in the New Spectrum Guide will come off the cloud.

Legacy boxes that don't have built in cloud-based technology will have a streaming network relaying to the guide that will function as the "Cloud" for box information.

Satch

Trusted Helper

Here are some known bugs with New Spectrum Guide: (A composite of issues from many areas.)  This is meant to be Feedback, not complaints.

1. When you hit watch now on DVR Recording it goes to live TV intermittently.

2. No Audio on Netflix on the Humax DVR 210H.

3. Netflix crashes after a couple of minutes Humax HD Box 110H.

4. Recordings will not fast forward intermittently.

5. Humax HD DVR 110H generates multiple entries of Title Unavailable in series priority with no way to delete the entries.

6. Settings Unavailable We're sorry, settings are currently unavailable. Please try again later. Reference Code 6001.

7. Box gets stuck on, Retrieving Channel Info Please wait while we acquire channel info on boot up and requires another reboot to fix.

8. We're Restarting Spectrum Guide.  We're sorry, something didn't work quite right. Spectrum Guide will restart automatically.

9. On the Humax HD DVR 210H, the recording light on the front of the box stops working after this error. We're Restarting Spectrum Guide We're sorry, something didn't work quite right. Spectrum Guide will restart automatically.

10. Subscription Info Unavailable We're Sorry, we were unable to load your subscription info. Please try again later. Reference Code 2004.

11. We're Sorry, we're unable to display recordings. Please try again. Reference Code 8010.

12. Equipment shows as not connected on my account page.

13. Online DVR manager does not work.

14. Session Error There was an error obtaining session information for this device, times shown in Guide may not reflect your current time zone. Reference Code 0006.

15. Guide Unavailable We're sorry, we're unable to load program info. Please try again later. Reference Codes 2001 & 0002.

16. Device Lookup Error There was an error obtaining information about this device, some features such as DVR and HD settings may appear to be unavailable. Please try again later. Reference Code 0007.

17. Unable to Delete We're Sorry, we were unable to delete these recordings. Please try again later. Reference Code 8003.

18. Reports of Caller ID on TV not working.

I hope that this list is not taken as a complaint, because it is not meant to be that at all.  I am hoping to use this thread to provide this kind of feedback to help the developers to improve Spectrum Guide to offer a better experience for all customers as it is rolled out to more markets.  I am a strong advocate of community feedback in product testing and implementation.

Additionally, if you users are NOT having some of these bugs and they are getting better, please let us know about that as well  The Spectrum Guide is a cloud-based regularly updated service, sort of like Windows 10.  There will be some bugs with the early releases.

Let us know what is happening.  And if you have any tips or workarounds that squash the above bugs, let us know.  Any features that you would like to see in future releases as well?  Post them here.

Hope this helps

Satch

Trusted Helper

@Satch wrote:

Here are some known bugs with New Spectrum Guide: (A composite of issues from many areas.)  This is meant to be Feedback, not complaints.

1. When you hit watch now on DVR Recording it goes to live TV intermittently.

2. No Audio on Netflix on the Humax DVR 210H.

3. Netflix crashes after a couple of minutes Humax HD Box 110H.

4. Recordings will not fast forward intermittently.

5. Humax HD DVR 110H generates multiple entries of Title Unavailable in series priority with no way to delete the entries.

6. Settings Unavailable We're sorry, settings are currently unavailable. Please try again later. Reference Code 6001.

7. Box gets stuck on, Retrieving Channel Info Please wait while we acquire channel info on boot up and requires another reboot to fix.

8. We're Restarting Spectrum Guide.  We're sorry, something didn't work quite right. Spectrum Guide will restart automatically.

9. On the Humax HD DVR 210H, the recording light on the front of the box stops working after this error. We're Restarting Spectrum Guide We're sorry, something didn't work quite right. Spectrum Guide will restart automatically.

10. Subscription Info Unavailable We're Sorry, we were unable to load your subscription info. Please try again later. Reference Code 2004.

11. We're Sorry, we're unable to display recordings. Please try again. Reference Code 8010.

12. Equipment shows as not connected on my account page.

13. Online DVR manager does not work.

14. Session Error There was an error obtaining session information for this device, times shown in Guide may not reflect your current time zone. Reference Code 0006.

15. Guide Unavailable We're sorry, we're unable to load program info. Please try again later. Reference Codes 2001 & 0002.

16. Device Lookup Error There was an error obtaining information about this device, some features such as DVR and HD settings may appear to be unavailable. Please try again later. Reference Code 0007.

17. Unable to Delete We're Sorry, we were unable to delete these recordings. Please try again later. Reference Code 8003.

18. Reports of Caller ID on TV not working.

I hope that this list is not taken as a complaint, because it is not meant to be that at all.  I am hoping to use this thread to provide this kind of feedback to help the developers to improve Spectrum Guide to offer a better experience for all customers as it is rolled out to more markets.  I am a strong advocate of community feedback in product testing and implementation.

Additionally, if you users are NOT having some of these bugs and they are getting better, please let us know about that as well  The Spectrum Guide is a cloud-based regularly updated service, sort of like Windows 10.  There will be some bugs with the early releases.

Let us know what is happening.  And if you have any tips or workarounds that squash the above bugs, let us know.  Any features that you would like to see in future releases as well?  Post them here.

Hope this helps

Satch

I heard that there was an update released to stop most of these bugs if not all of them.  Two things that aren't ready yet for Spectrum Guide to my knowledge:

• Remote DVR Manager is not offered yet in legacy TWC areas on Spectrum Guide
  • Caller ID on TV is still being worked on, and isn't out yet for Spectrum Guide.

If or when this changes for you, please post and give your box make and model number, as well as your city, state, and zip code.

Satch

Trusted Helper

A recording glitch that a user had with Spectrum Guide and Feedback about the On Demand Portal:

For episodes 1 and 3 of the new season of The Last Ship, only the last 20 minutes of the show were recorded, despite showing as actively recording at the time. Episode 2 was fine. Came home Wednesday to watch the previous nights new episode of Strange Evidence and the percentage bar was up to 11 % used, and nothing but Strange Evidence was on my DVR.

Turns out despite only showing that the recording was 60 minutes long, and giving no indication that the box was recording, the DVR was actively recording Science Channel and was recording it for the past 20 hours or so.

Oh yeah, in order to get to the DVR screen it took me 5 or 6 tries, it kept giving me the same error over and over.

Something needs to be done about not being able to use the channel buttons to advance past the On demand channels. This is getting down right aggravating. All of the OD channels put you on the same page anyhow, so they should just hide them all in the Spectrum Guide and just have a Portal on ch 100 or 1000.

My comments,

I understand that the On Demand Portal in Spectrum Guide is not a channel, but a menu and cannot be moved off using the Channel up/down buttons.  Users must enter the channel number to exit an On Demand Channel.

His DVR recording issues sounds like bugs.

Satch

Trusted Helper

Guys,

If you are consistently having issues with Guide/Mini Guide Data Unavailable:

(One of my sources said to try the following: )

Mine was doing that, and a tech told me to do this if it acts up...

1) turn box on
2) hold reset button (two arrows) for 7 seconds
3) release button after 7 seconds
4) wait for reboot

He said it clears out all the config and forces it to redownload the config file. It fixed mine and it doesn't do that anymore.

Satch

Trusted Helper

@Satch wrote:

Guys,

If you are consistently having issues with Guide/Mini Guide Data Unavailable:

(One of my sources said to try the following: )

Mine was doing that, and a tech told me to do this if it acts up...

1) turn box on
2) hold reset button (two arrows) for 7 seconds
3) release button after 7 seconds
4) wait for reboot

He said it clears out all the config and forces it to redownload the config file. It fixed mine and it doesn't do that anymore.

Satch

Important update:  These steps above are for the New World Boxes.  (Boxes without a clock.)

Trusted Helper

Hey Guys,

Looking for anyone with the new Spectrum Guide that has Caller ID on TV working or any timeline as to when that feature might become available?  What about Remote DVR Management on the New Spectrum Guide?

There are many customers that don't want Spectrum Guide because they can't record on their DVR remotely, and Caller ID on TV is not out yet.  Any timeline approximate would be much appreciated.  Are we looking at weeks?  months? years?

I also want to pass along what a valuable asset Caller ID on TV has been for my family and friends!  I had relatives who had surgery, and the Caller ID on TV really helped them keep up with friends and family back from the hospital.  Without it, they would have had to move painfully to get to the phone. just to see who is calling.  It is a great feature!

It is unfortunate that Spectrum considers Caller ID on TV as only a bonus.  I wanted to share that story to say what a help it is, and I really hope that it becomes available by next year. (On the New Spectrum Guide.)

Remote DVR Recording is great too, but if it's not out for Spectrum Guide, that is also a down in my book.

If anyone has these features working on Spectrum Guide, please post your city, state, and zip.  so I can pass this along to other customers who have been asking me when the new guide will get these features.

Typically, once released.  It takes about 24 hours for Caller ID on TV to show up on a new box, and 48 hours for Remote DVR Manager services to activate.  It should be the same once the New Spectrum Guide gets those functions.

Satch

Browser

funny how the world box don't have a front clock on it but yet the menu has options for time configurations. another issue with the world box is they put the guide in the cloud for what ever reason i dunno just let me click on the guide button and have it come up with out the box freezing up. the picture quality was horrible the turf in soccer games didn't look like turf or grass it looked like blotches of light green what ever. the box took over the PQ settings on my t.v. and i could not force the t.v. to upconvert to 4k the box had a stroke and had some HDCP warning lol. and you have to do something in the menu system to change your channels from faves i forget what it was but it's stupid. and instead of giving it 4 tuners why not give it more tuners 4 tuners is so 90's compared to whats out there today. and why not give the box the ability to automaticly FF through commericals!!!

Trusted Helper

What's up Gotto?

Here's what I know in answer to your questions about the New Spectrum Guide and your other questions:

1.) Spectrum wants the time and clock options and everything on the box to come from "The Cloud" hence no clock on the box.

2.) Over time, Spectrum is going to be releasing the new guide to the boxes with clocks on them. That's why they have clock settings on the new guide.

3.) The new guide is very buggy, and in the opinion of many, is not ready for public release. I think it needs another 1-2 YEARS of bug fixing and development.

4.) Why Spectrum choose to make the boxes four-tuners instead of six I agree with you, was not a good decision. From what I have learned, the six tuner boxes were extremely expensive for Spectrum to buy in order to rent, and I was told that the move to four tuners was a cost-saving measure. At least wen still have 1TB of storage like on the six-tuner DVR's.

5.) The inability to Fast-Forward through commercials is at the insistence of the host station and this one has nothing to do with Spectrum. The stations say that in order to provide their On Demand Content, most of the free On-Demand content, you have to take the commercials Other providers are like that as well.

Satch