N/A

I want a new box

I want a new cable box now. I cannot handle any of my problems anymore and the seemingly lack of care by TWC as I continue to shell out around $200 for their services a month. This box is extremely slow. It takes 3 seconds to open the TV guide after pressing the guide button. It feels laggy to use, the box does not keep up with the buttons being pushed on the remote. Sometimes it's so slow that me and my family would end up mashing the Guide button many times until it finally responds, only to go back to the channel because the button was pushed one too many times. This box is so old that the interface isn't even widescreen because it's a technical limitation, who would have thought that would happen to 2006 hardware in almost 2017? A 11 year difference! The box is so old that it doesn't support the new On Demand experience that's cloud enabled or some marketing that TWC keeps pushing around now, so not only can we not use the new, vastly better UI but we also don't get to access the features that are being advertised. Just what is going on over at Time Warner Cable? The experience used to fly before Navigator came along in 2011 and chugged everything down. Nearly 5 years later and they still haven't solved the second outstanding issue. The devs need to be swiftly laid off, I mean even Comcast has a better/modern cable OS, and experiences like mine is exactly why more people are "cutting the cord" and are using solutions that actually work and doesn't empty the wallet like Netflix and Hulu.

I expect to see replies about how I should exchange the box into my local TWC "Store" for a newer one but countless times after requesting a new box for about 5 times now I'm told that the one we have is the latest one.

I don't know how they manage to use it and not notice any major lag. On many online forums, people with similar models like my cable box have the exact same issue, yet nothing has changed. Meanwhile, a family member who moved to a new home two years ago received a newer cable box after signing up for TWC- and it has the widescreen HD guide, the new On Demand service, and best of all, it is very fast and smooth to use. That's the cable experience I want. And my local TWC store is denying me that by claiming they don't have anything newer, when I believe that is where my family member picked up her's.

I know this may be unwarranted and will look like a misdirected rant, given how all of you can't directly help the situation. However, I've seen TWC techs, even staff on here helping people and I hope that one of them can manage to resolve this situation. We've been considering going DirecTV for some time, and I feel like this might be my breaking point after being a TWC customer for 10 years. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you for reading this.
10 REPLIES
Expert

Re: I want a new box

Take the box and the REMOTE to the twc/ spectrum store and get a new one.

You may also have signal level issues from too many and open splitter ports.

N/A

I have taken my box to the local twc store and they ended up giving me an older model. The rep claimed it was the latest model out. Looked up the model and people have been complaining about it since 2006.
N/A

Also I only have one splitter, main into the splits into the box and the modem.
Established Sharer

If you don't mind the upfront cost, ditching the leased box altogether and going with a TiVo is an option. The UI and overall experience is infinitely better, although you won't have access to PPV and some on demand if that's a factor.

Expert

Where are you?

Spectrum is giving out new boxes in most areas

Technicolor/ Arris ones with the SPECTRUM name on the front.

N/A

I'm located in Beaumont Texas. The model I have is a Motorola.
Trusted Helper

[ Edited ]

Gjb89 wrote:
I'm located in Beaumont Texas. The model I have is a Motorola.

I responded to your PM.  The other thing that I forgot to mention in my PM would be to consider getting a tech out to check signal strength and that removing the splitter may help with this.  A new box will not solve bad signals.

Satch

Expert

OP needs the splitter has a cable box and a Modem...

What model Motorola box?

N/A

I'm sorry my previous box was a motorola, this one is a Cisco 8640HDC. About a year ago a TWC tech came out and ran a new coax from the pole to my house and a couple months ago I had a tech out and he tested the outlet that feeds the box and modem and was getting a good signal.