Newcomer

I have spectrum Select, but cannot record Bucks game as a "series"? Why?

I have the Spectrum Select service, so I can watch and record Milwaukee Bucks games on FS Wisconsin channel 31.  However there is no option to record the series, so I must currently find each game individually and set up recordings, unlike most series where I can set  up to record i automatically. I want to know why, please. I live in Waukesha County, just outside the Milwaukee area. I need to set up series recording like my other TV series, but cannot....please tell me wny? Is this blocked out due to some rule or arrangement with the Milwaukee Bucks Television network? Thank you,

5 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: I have spectrum Select, but cannot record Bucks game as a "series"? Why?

judithclaire wrote:

I have the Spectrum Select service, so I can watch and record Milwaukee Bucks games on FS Wisconsin channel 31.  However there is no option to record the series, so I must currently find each game individually and set up recordings, unlike most series where I can set  up to record i automatically. I want to know why, please. I live in Waukesha County, just outside the Milwaukee area. I need to set up series recording like my other TV series, but cannot....please tell me wny? Is this blocked out due to some rule or arrangement with the Milwaukee Bucks Television network? Thank you,

Hi Judith, 

This is a good question.  I am also in the Milwaukee Metro area.  I presume that the Record Series option should be available for all the games.  Is it that there is no Record Series option in the record options for Bucks games?  Or you select Record Series and are told you can't?  I am assuming that this is the first issue.

A test, try searching for a Football team using the B button and select a game and see if you have a Record Series option for that specific team.  If that option is there, it seems like there is a guide listing error for Milwaukee Bucks games where series options are not showing.  If Record Series is not there for Football teams either, there might be a sports copyright issue. 

A request, other customers/Spectrum employees with the ODN Navigator Guide, (Looks like this. below: )

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/new-guide.html

Find sports teams using B button search and see if Record Series options are available.  This will help determine if it is a national listing issue with our guide software, an intentional copyright issue, or a local issue with the listings.  Gracenote handles the guide data for Spectrum.

Satch

Trusted Helper

Satch wrote:

judithclaire wrote:

Hi Judith, 

This is a good question.  I am also in the Milwaukee Metro area.  I presume that the Record Series option should be available for all the games.  Is it that there is no Record Series option in the record options for Bucks games?  Or you select Record Series and are told you can't?  I am assuming that this is the first issue.

A test, try searching for a Football team using the B button and select a game and see if you have a Record Series option for that specific team.  If that option is there, it seems like there is a guide listing error for Milwaukee Bucks games where series options are not showing.  If Record Series is not there for Football teams either, there might be a sports copyright issue. 

A request, other customers/Spectrum employees with the ODN Navigator Guide, (Looks like this. below: )

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/new-guide.html

Find sports teams using B button search and see if Record Series options are available.  This will help determine if it is a national listing issue with our guide software, an intentional copyright issue, or a local issue with the listings.  Gracenote handles the guide data for Spectrum.

Satch

I checked on a test of sports listings myself using my box:

1.) There is no way to currently record Milwaukee Bucks games as a series.

2.) There is also currently no way to record NFL football games as a series

Satch 

PS.  This topic is in the wrong forum.  Should be moved to " Equipment" forum.

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

Hello,

Further investigation seems to be that in order for Record Series to appear, the programming must be episodic in nature (as part of a TV series.)  Sports games are not considered part of a series, therefore, no option for series recordings for sports content exists for specific games and teams.

Note that having this option would be hard for customers with older boxes and much smaller DVR hard drives.  They would fill up too quickly.  A DVR was never intended to be a long term storage device.  Users at this time must record specific sports team games individually.

Satch

Proven Sharer

Satch wrote:

Hello,

Further investigation seems to be that in order for Record Series to appear, the programming must be episodic in nature (as part of a TV series.)  Sports games are not considered part of a series, therefore, no option for series recordings for sports content exists for specific games and teams.

Note that having this option would be hard for customers with older boxes and much smaller DVR hard drives.  They would fill up too quickly.  A DVR was never intended to be a long term storage device.  Users at this time must record specific sports team games individually.

Satch

In addition to what Satch offers, recording a given team's games also introduces some other problems, the big one being overruns.

If a game goes into overtime, there is no way your DVR will know.  It records based on the TV schedule, and not the game clock / scoreboard.  You'd miss the ends of game more times than not.

If your DVR supports keyword recording, you MIGHT be able to tell it to record all shows with "Milwaukee Bucs" in the title, but this might catch pre and post game, and well as replays.

There is no easy way to record just a season's worth of games.

Rookie

I would also like to be able to record events based on a team. I can set the series up to go 1 hour longer and delete the games before the dvr would fill up. Other dvr services can do this already.