N/A

Huge DVR Box Taking Up Real Estate

I had a darn good up to date small Cable modem good for a 100 down with TW, when I was forced to go to Spectrum with the sale of TW they replaced my perfectly good Cable modem with a huge DVR box that I never use, the real estate this DVR takes up is ridiculous, I have had it on maybe twice to try it and don't have any use for it, can I turn the DVR box in and go back to my small modem that I purchased three years ago.

10 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Huge DVR Box Taking Up Real Estate

Is this for TV or Internet?  Modem is for internet, DVR is to watch and record TV.  I assume you might be talking the little DTA that Spectrum will not support anymore.  I stayed on my TWC plan and still have one of those.  If that is what you had (small black box with remote), Spectrum will not let you go back to TWC equipment once you change to Spectrum (you probably did not HAVE to - I almost fell for that once).  And, to watch TV you need some kind of box to decode the digital signals.  I agree that the DVR would be as big as the 26" TV I have in the kitchen that has a DTA right now.

/Dan

N/A

I still have the small black Motorola Modem (no remote), I was able to get Internet and TV through a splitter with that setup, one to the TV and other line to the modem, I still have TV and Internet access through Spectrum, though I have heard some claim you have to have the DVR to view TV you do not, my DVR hasen't been on but twice since the install this summer and the DVR is off right now and I have TV just fine and still have all the channels I had with TW.
If there is a way to get rid of this monstrosity of a DVR I'm going to do it, since it's off when I view TV then it's not needed imo to be able to view my TV programs. Now true I noticed when I did have the DVR on most all channels were HD, but some channels were not available when the DVR was on, that was not acceptable for me so I turned it off and got the channels back, and I'm paying more than when I was with TW that is a big sore spot for me.
Established Sharer

You're mixing up two completely separate pieces of equipment, a DVR used to connect to a tv and a cable modem for internet. Now if you're referring to the small Digital Television Adapter and now most have the full sized set top box...Spectrum does not support the small DTA devices so a full sized box is required. The fact that you say you can completely bypass the DVR box and still get the channels you watch tell me that your area isn't yet encrypted, but it will be soon enough and you then will no longer be able to bypass the DVR box. 

Is your tv direct connected to the coax from the wall or from the DVR?

N/A

The cable connects to the DVR and in turn the HDMI runs from the DVR to the TV, I will be one unhappy camper if they encrypt the TV signal and I lose channels that my Granddaughter watches such as Nick, which will result in me dropping TV all together,  they want more $ for that and it's not going to happen here, cable was invented for folks that could not get TV because of their location such as behind a mountain or to far for the TV signal to reach, that is no longer the case and their are alternatives to cable now, and I'm not referring to DirTV.

Established Sharer

The DVR (or non-DVR) box is exactly what is needed to decrypt the signal.  How are you watching tv if the DVR is turned off? Do you have another coax connection to the tv, an antenna for over the air broadcasts, or maybe a Roku using the Spectrum TV app?

N/A

Ok after crawling under the table and banging my head, lol, there is one cable coming in, that cable goes to a splitter, from the splitter there is one cable that goes to the TV and the other cable goes to the DVR so that explains how I can still watch TV with the DVR off, so I can basically disconnect the huge DVR and stick it in the closet and still have TV.

However if they are going to encrypt eventually here as you say then I will cross that bridge when it shows up and drop the TV end of it from Spectrum.

Established Sharer

If you are dead set on not using the DVR I would do one of two things until your signal is fully encrypted to save money, unless the DVR is part of a promo you are receiving:

- Return the DVR in favor of a non-DVR box. This will save you the monthly DVR fee.

- Return the DVR in favor of a CableCard. CableCards cost even less per month than a non-DVR box.

Both the non-DVR box and the CableCard can sit in your closet until that day comes. When it does and you decide to drop Spectrum TV, will you go fully over the air or use something like Directv Now or Sling TV?

Valued Contributor

And, if you remove the box, remove the splitter with it and only go directly to the TV with the main cabe line.  You had not mentioned your city (or even better, zip code) and most everyone is now encrypted so we assumed you needed the box to watch TV.  Internet "modem" is another box you have if you have internet from Spectrum.  Also assume the splitter is not 3-way and one way going to your internet modem.

/Dan

N/A

Thank you for your help, I see I have better options than having to put up with the DVR because of it's size and can get my NightOwl unit back where it belongs.