Newcomer

HDMI output always on

I am wondering first why the HDMI output is always on even when the cable box is "off". Second, why is the cable box always warm when it's not been turned on? Cable box is listed as Technicolor HD: Spectrum 101-T

Thanks for any ideas.

1 REPLY
Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Re: HDMI output always on

@jef212wrote:

I am wondering first why the HDMI output is always on even when the cable box is "off". Second, why is the cable box always warm when it's not been turned on? Cable box is listed as Technicolor HD: Spectrum 101-T

Thanks for any ideas.

With regards to the HDMI, I have no clue.

With regards to the cable box being warm when it's off, that's simple.  It's always on, even if you aren't watching it.  It is always consuming power, and it may be receiving updates while you are not actively using it (or its's off).  Think of it like a PC that is always on, with its screen saver trucking away.

Of course you can unplug it, but you'll need to wait several minutes while the cable box boots.  And if you leave it unplugged for a long period of time, there is a risk that it will not receive vital updates, and will brick itself, resulting in the need for it to be exchanged.  (It happened to me with DTA's... I left them unplugged for a couple of months, and I had to exchange them for new ones.)