Browser

Forgets Reminders

[ Edited ]

Ocassionaly, my SA box will "forget" to change stations (mostly on weelday reminders). This never happened before the Major Specrum Software Update. I have re-booted the box but it still forgets reminders maybee 20% of the time. Will work OK one day and then maybee not the next day. Checking the screen shows that the reminder is programmed.

3 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Forgets Reminders

pav78 wrote:

Ocassionaly, my SA box will "forget" to change stations (mostly on weelday reminders). This never happened before the Major Specrum Software Update. I have re-booted the box but it still forgets reminders maybee 20% of the time. Will work OK one day and then maybee not the next day. Checking the screen shows that the reminder is programmed.

Hi Pav,

It's been years since I have had an SA box.  How did the update change the interface, if at all?  Is the "Set Reminders" still in the Time Grid when taking action on a program in the grid?  Note that on the modern boxes running the Navigator ODN 8.0 update, Set Reminders has been removed from the Time Grid, and can only now be found in Settings.

Does Set Reminders on your SA box ever work without having to reboot the system where it will not work one day without a reboot and the next day start working?  Or do you always need to reboot to get it to start working? 

Also, is it just one show that is forgetting to be reminded , or can this happen with any show?  You mention 20% chance of box forgetfulness so that's 1/5.  You may want to decide to put it on watch to see if the update improves with a software patch.  Or consider updating to a newer model box.  As you probably know, you will lose all your recordings and personal settings and series if you swap out the box.  Those SA models are going on fifteen years old.  There might be some hardware issues starting to occur.

Spectrum's newer boxes have a much more modern guide, more storage, Cover Art, and expanded search.  The reliability of the search however, compared to the legacy boxes is not as good.  (Listings are missing in the modern box search, that are complete in the legacy box search.)  Oh, before I forget, what is the model number of your box?  Also have you contacted Spectrum about this bug?  They send information about the boxes from customers to the product design team and constantly take feedback.  In fact, I created a Feedback thread about the New Guide that you can access here in the forums:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Product-Feedback-and-Suggestions/New-Guide-Feedback-Suggestions...

You can post there.  Make sure you give the make and model of your box, because each box has different software and hardware specifications. 

Satch

Browser

SA Explorer 4250 HDC. Reminders are correctly highlighted on Guide Grid, they just don't always execute

One that has missed more than once (but not always)  is Channel 1005 (Local CBS) at 10:00 am (The Price is Right)  set for weekdays.

Most used menus are the same after the Update.

Reminders can be set on Settings-Timers OR on the Giude Grid (same as before).

I haven't dectected a failure pattern but will continue to monitor.

Trusted Helper

pav78 wrote:

SA Explorer 4250 HDC. Reminders are correctly highlighted on Guide Grid, they just don't always execute

One that has missed more than once (but not always)  is Channel 1005 (Local CBS) at 10:00 am (The Price is Right)  set for weekdays.

Most used menus are the same after the Update.

Reminders can be set on Settings-Timers OR on the Guide Grid (same as before).

I haven't detected a failure pattern but will continue to monitor.

Hi Pav,

Monitoring this is a good idea.  Do you have any other box issues like slow responses, freezing, pixilated picture or a blank screen? If so, this could be a signal or drop-line problem more than a box issue.  Keep us posted!

I might suggest that next time it happens, don't reboot for as long as possible and set a second reminder for that same show the next day and see if the box remembers to remind you or not.  Rebooting clears the system error logs.  If you reboot, it will be harder to pin down a pattern.

Satch