Re: Forcing customers to use set top boxes

VHC wrote:
If you have Roku, Firestick or something similar or have a Smart TV you can download the Spectrum TV app and access all the channels you get through the package you pay for. I am new to this but is seems to work well on our Roku TV. No need to pay for a box for each TV that way.

Appreciate the help! i was able to get the spectrum app loaded on my TVs after some initial setup. Why spectrum didn't offer this as a solution even when I told them i'd be leaving if i had to rent the set top boxes is beyond me.

MsRaye wrote:

Where are you ? Zip code?

DTA's have rf remotes and can be tucked behind most sets. Unles single receptacle clock outlets were installed, you should have a duplex behind the set.

TWC legacy customers here in NE oh still have limited DTA availability, Spectrum is pushing out the small 201 STB's and yes, rental is more.  

Next issue is that 4 TV's and a modem may be over the signal splitting limit.

DTA's will still work but STB/DVR's will require the properly sized amplifier.

If your house was done up with a builder installed structured wiring cable distro box, it's wrong and needs to be upgraded/replaced,

If you have smart/cast tv's I'd run cat5e to them...

All i know is that each individual coax (all 8 of them) runs to a box outside, where spectrum attached their outside termination box to.   My house is new construction, and I proactively ran cat6 cable from a patch panel in a central location to every room plus every location that I will plan on hanging a TV.  I did this before the drywall went in, knowing that eventually TV would be received over ethernet.  Looks like it's all happening sooner than I anticipated!  I was able to get the spectrum app loaded on each TV, so I can now get channels again.  

Expert

You may need a faster internet speed for all tv's to stream at the same time.

10 megs per set...

I would also look at the modem level/ error log pages, if there's an 8 way unamplified splitter outside, that's often trouble,  it can get a lot worst if one of the TV's connections gets flakey., I'd stick a small attic antenna up, rout it to the splitter, use that for local channels and only connect the modem to the grounding block, Depending on location/ antennna, you might get up to 50 channels, for free,lol...

look up your zipcode at www.tvfool.com or antennaweb.org

Expert

As for spectrum offering solutions, they get paid on comissions, lol... they only want to rent/lease , sell....

"watch spectrum now" and the Spectrum smart tv ap has at least a bit of a guide which is more than what you got on a cable ready connection... unless your headend had a guide channel... Ours went away when TWC bought out Adelphia 6+ years ago...

Browser

That is funny. I remember the guide channel. I was wondering where that went.
Browser

I know that several years ago when things switched from analog to digital we all had to have a new tv or get a converter box. New TVs as of circa 2008 have the ability for digital signals thus not needing a box. I have heard rumors about needing a cable box for every TV and I am annoyed about that. The TV is not broken, so don't fix it.

I've tried the app and it is nice, but I'm not sure how everyone going on wifi is better than just a simple ch 1-99 tv. Most TVs cannot support the app on its own: only samsung has the app, and the new samsung tv remotes are no better than garbage. I'm not too sure why people are upset by the size of the cable boxes. I think they are sized right. They go right into my tv stand.

Expert

hard to stash behind the improper flat against the wall mounted and too high sets... never an issue with angled wall mounts, need a small miror or IR remote for ir control, rf works fine....

Expert

use wifi as a last resort, ethernet wherever possible, it's a lot more reliable and with a proper static IP never an issue...

dhcp and a 1 hr lease is a disaster...

VHC
Rookie

Glad it worked for you.
Newcomer

I don't use a set top box. I have a smart TV that  can download apps,  and I have the Spectrum internet app. All I have plugged in the wall is the tv power cord, that's it. The Spectrum app is better than watching through the box - every channel is HD, and the menus system and channel previews are years advanced over their crappy re-tooled old set top boxes. The only thing is no DVR this way, but now most stuff is on demand and we also have amazon and Netflix.