Observer

Fax Printer Connection

Replaced an HP OfficeJet 6500A All-in-One printer with an HP OfficeJet Pro 6835.  The 6500A was connected correctly by TWC tech for fax and answering machine, by connecting Phone Modem to 6500A and the 6500A to answering machine and fax and phone worked perfectly.  Connected same wires to similar connections on the 6835 and printer reports "fax is not connected to an active Wall Jack." Connected Phone Modem directly to answering machine and phone works perfectly.   Any suggestions.

Not a TWC employee and seek solutions, not compliments.
4 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Fax Printer Connection

Wall jack connector on fax goes to modem

Phone connector goes to answ machine

you may need HP's adapter cable or 2 line splitter if there's only one jack and no menu item for seperate jacks. read thru it's manual for programming

Spectrum Employee

First, several TWC modems have two phone jacks with only one of them providing dial tone. You should be able to tell by which light is lit on the front of the modem which 'Line' you should be using on the back. If 'Tel 1' is lit on the front, use 'Tel 1' on the back. Then that telephone line needs to go to the 'Line 1' connection on the back of the fax machine. To add the answering machine (or a phone) you have to connect another telephone line from the 'Line ext' to the answering machine. I have also dealt with answering machines (and phones) that were so defective as to capture the dial tone so that it makes the light on the modem flash as soon as it is connected. When the fax is not actively faxing and the answering machine is not actively answering, the Tel light on the front should be solid not flashing.

Hope I helped!
Spectrum Employee

TechFive wrote:
First, several TWC modems have two phone jacks with only one of them providing dial tone. You should be able to tell by which light is lit on the front of the modem which 'Line' you should be using on the back. If 'Tel 1' is lit on the front, use 'Tel 1' on the back. Then that telephone line needs to go to the 'Line 1' connection on the back of the fax machine. To add the answering machine (or a phone) you have to connect another telephone line from the 'Line ext' to the answering machine. I have also dealt with answering machines (and phones) that were so defective as to capture the dial tone so that it makes the light on the modem flash as soon as it is connected. When the fax is not actively faxing and the answering machine is not actively answering, the Tel light on the front should be solid not flashing.

Hope I helped!

In addition to this, I've recently see somebody recently started manufacturing something to get around the issue that can sometimes arise with faxes with a physical switch:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VKRE6Y/ref=s9_hps_bw_g229_i1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0141PLUYO/ref=s9_hps_bw_g229_i2
(Note: this is my personal suggestion, not TWC's.  Something else one could try, and I wanted to share info about)

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Newcomer

Just had TWC internet put in my home.  Do not have a land line.  How do I get a line connected to my Canon printer?  I did have an ATT number associated with my printer...w

printer now not working. Need to print from iPad, Samsung Smartphone and laptop....quickly!  Help please...your chat person was useless!😢