Rookie

External HDD/DVD recorder questions

I have an old Toshiba RD-XS32SU HDD/DVD recorder with an analog tuner.  Since the Spectrum changeover to all-digital, it will no longer record any cable channels.  Is there any way to continue using it, or do I need to purchase a new recorder with a digital tuner in order to record, edit, and archive progams?

2 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: External HDD/DVD recorder questions

brucels wrote:

I have an old Toshiba RD-XS32SU HDD/DVD recorder with an analog tuner.  Since the Spectrum changeover to all-digital, it will no longer record any cable channels.  Is there any way to continue using it, or do I need to purchase a new recorder with a digital tuner in order to record, edit, and archive progams?

No you will not be able to use the old player,

As part of Spectrum's All Digital Platform you will need to rent a DVR from them to be able to record and play programs, and to take advantage of full functionality.  Try to get an Arris, Cisco/Technicolor, or Samsung box.  They are the fastest, and provide the most storage space.

Satch

Expert

Re: External HDD/DVD recorder questions

[ Edited ]

Yes you can still use it by connecting it to either the composite or Svideo output and audio from the cable box.

But without a IR blaster option , you can't program various different channels or expect it to record SDV channels which are usually the ones above ch 60 and on some systems ch 20, as those SDV channels time out after 4 hours (press any key to keep watching this channel)

I don't know if the cable boxes will stay locked on premium channels, some may be SDV as well. 

As long as you're home and bump the channel before you start recording, it shouldn't prompt you with a press any key for at least 2-3 hours.