Newcomer

Experiencing a DVR record issue.

Im experiencing a DVR record issue. When I spoke to a Chat Rep they sent a refresh signal and then the DVR worked and recorded for that day, however the scheduled recordings did not record. I have been through the refresh signal 2 times already and it still doesnt work. At this point I dont think Spectrum knows how to solve the issue.. No I wont go through the refresh process again, I need another solution. I dont pay a monthly fee in order to go through issues that cannot be resolved. 

10 REPLIES

Re: Experiencing a DVR record issue.

I've had the same issues without resolution.  When Time-Warner had service I did not have these issues.  I suspect something in Spectrum system is causing this problem.  The problem I'm having is that I schedule a recording, the DVR says it has the info and even showing up as recording on the Guide, but when I go to play show back, only the title is in DVR recordings list, no show is recorded.

Trusted Helper

Hello all,

Since rebooting the box has not resolved this issue, users with DVR problems should contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test.  Avoid rebooting any boxes, modems, or routers for six hours, so that the error codes do not reset.  A box swap will never solve bad signals or line issues.

If the signals are good, the box may need to be swapped.  Also post your city, state, and zip, so that we can see if these issues are from the same area.

Satch

Lead Moderator

One thing you can do on your side is inspect the wiring. Are all of the cable cords secured tightly to the DVR and the coaxial outlet? Do you have any splitters in the home? Is the DVR connected to a splitter or directly to a wall outlet.

Do you see any damage or corrosion to the cable or outlet/splitter? Have you had

recent storms or have you noticed anything that precipitated this problem?

If you have Internet the signal levels and logs from the modem may help identify the issue. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Not applicable

Lewiston, ME 04240
Spectator

I, too, have been experiencing DVR recording issues for about a month now...off and on.    Shows recording are often only partials...not the whole show.   I’ve had technicians out to test signals and connections...all great!

i suppose the enhanced Cisco DVR might have a problem....but....

Spectrum is moving local DVR programming to their “cloud” and I am beginning to think that they are having issues with this.   I get that they want to move everything to On-Demand (I’m not crazy about the OD service....cannot FF thru commercials) but I pay for a DVR service that should work.

anyone else experiencing partial DVR recordings?

Established Sharer

The comment has come up several times already on the forums.  The video content provider takes control of your ability to FF through their commercials, and THEY are the folks charging the advertisers for those ad inserts.  The cable companies are contractually limited by the program supplier to the number of minutes per program that they can run their own local commercials.  

Spectator

I get the part about FF....I accept it...just don’t like it.

The real problem are the partial recordings.    Spectrum support told me that they are moving recording management to the “cloud.”   Ok...great...this works well for on demand  programming but I pay a monthly fee for managed recording through my DVR.

My question to all...is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Lead Moderator

@Chris_l  Hello.

If you have a DVR in your home that is not working properly, playback is not working well, recordings are not recording as set there is either a problem with your DVR or with the signal levels. 

Since the powercycle/reboot of the box did not resolve the issue I encourage you to contact our Social Media Customer Care to take a look at the connection from our side and schedule an appointment if needed. 

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum

OR
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Spectator

Thank you for your response.   

The DVR has been refreshed many times and also rebooted several times.  The technician who visited our house checked signal strength and connections.  All were just fine.  The recommendation then was to replace the DVR.  I likely will have to do this but will lose all programming and shows residing on the DVR.  Ugh!   Went through this last year and it is a PITA.  

My questions were and still are:

1)  Are there issues upstream of us?  The technician told me that problems had occurred that might have affected us.

2)  Is Spectrum's work to move to on-demand services affecting me/us?   I noticed that my recording schedule is now accessible via the web.  This sort of work on Spectrum's part tells me that changes in how services are delivered/managed is changing.  A Spectrum service rep confirmed that this was occurring but said it should not affect my service.  Having been in IT for 30+ years, I know how big changes can affect users downstream.

Bigger question....is Spectrum moving away from DVR services and strictly to on-demand?

Having said all this, I'd really like answers to my questions above before I swap out DVRs once again.

Thanks!!