Highlighted
N/A

Does Spectrum really not have a whole house DVR that can record more than 2 channels?

We just switched from DIRECTV to Spectrum since DIRECTV kept raising the rates and they were no longer willing to work with us on the price. With DIRECTV we had a whole house DVR (DVR hard drive and small slave unit). We were able record 5 shows (or record 4 and watch live TV) at a time and watch the same show from both TVs. Now we have two separate DVRs that we have set up both to record the same shows if we want to watch on either TV. Also, each DVR can only record two shows, or record one and watch live. We get messages popping up (if 2 shows are recording) to make a snap decision to keep recording 1 or stop it so we can watch live TV. Is this for real? Is this the best equipment Spectrum has? Sorry but this is 2017 and this technology is from 1997. I heard some rumors about something called a World Box coming out in the future that was whole house and had multiple tuners? But for now, is the best equipment that Spectrum can provide?

6 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Does Spectrum really not have a whole house DVR that can record more than 2 channels?

[ Edited ]

This is correct. Spectrum does not offer whole house DVR to new customers but does support it for legacy customers if they already have it. Rumors are that a cloud based DVR is on the radar that could have the ability to record multiple shows at once.

If you are open to the up front cost, a TiVo with a couple of minis is well worth it.

Expert

Re: Does Spectrum really not have a whole house DVR that can record more than 2 channels?

They have repeatedly mentioned a cloud based "world box" that does multiple channels and possibly multi room but it is not available in most areas... Went out by email to selected customers, see the "8 tuner dvr" thread...

Where are you?

Sharer

Dave5 wrote:

We just switched from DIRECTV to Spectrum since DIRECTV kept raising the rates and they were no longer willing to work with us on the price. With DIRECTV we had a whole house DVR (DVR hard drive and small slave unit). We were able record 5 shows (or record 4 and watch live TV) at a time and watch the same show from both TVs. Now we have two separate DVRs that we have set up both to record the same shows if we want to watch on either TV. Also, each DVR can only record two shows, or record one and watch live. We get messages popping up (if 2 shows are recording) to make a snap decision to keep recording 1 or stop it so we can watch live TV. Is this for real? Is this the best equipment Spectrum has? Sorry but this is 2017 and this technology is from 1997. I heard some rumors about something called a World Box coming out in the future that was whole house and had multiple tuners? But for now, is the best equipment that Spectrum can provide?

You might want to consider a Tivo solution.  Buy a Tivo Bolt, and add minis for the additional sets.  You will own your equipment, and not have to pay Spectrum for cabe box rentals, although you will need to pay Tivo for the hardware and guide data, and rent a cable card from Spectrum.

Do the math, and you'll see that typically your equipment pays for itself in 3 years when you buy a "lifetime" service agreement from Tivo (i.e. - you pay a lump sum up front for guide data rather than a monthly fee).

If you go this route, I recommend using ethernet and NOT MOCA for connecting the units.

Trusted Helper

Dave5 wrote:

Hi Dave,

The boxes offered depend on your area as well as the software used on them.  In what area are you located? Best bet would be to go to a local Spectrum Store and ask if they have any DVR boxes that are more than two-tuners.  I am in a former TWC market and got a six-tuner Cisco 9800 DVR. Another six-tuner box is the Arris 3600-M.  I would recommend if those boxes are offered in your division to get one of them.  They are much faster and have more storage.

Some markets have the World Box, which is a four tuner DVR, An 8-tuner DVR is RUMORED to be in development.  Oh, yea Cisco is now Technicolor, so the 9800 box may have the technicolor name.  I don't think you can get Whole House DVR configuration with Spectrum,  As a new customer, I would ask the office if they could put you on their 3-DVR deal which some divisions have for 12/months $19.95/mo for three DVR boxes  Ask about that.  Than post back and see what they say.  Your a new customer, and Spectrum offers the best deals to new customers for 12 months.  Also, if you are not in a Triple Play Bundle, (Cable, Phone, Internet) ask about that as well.

Satch

N/A

Thanks!

Newcomer

It really depends on model of receiver.  My fathers is silver and only does 2 recordings.  Mine a black  Explorer 8640 HDC can do atleast 5.  I was told by the tech that did the install that they are definitely going cloud dvr and that is expected November or December 2017.