Newcomer

Digital

Hello,

So what is this new digital thing and needed a new box. Do i have to get a box for all six of my tvs, and then pay and extra $60 a month for these boxes? What happens if i dont get these boxes?

5 REPLIES
Helper

Re: Digital

You will need some combination of devices for all tvs. That could include leased boxes for all 6 tvs, one leased box and 5 Roku devices running the Spectrum TV app (if you have Spectrum internet), or even a leased CableCard and TiVo devices.

Expert

You have 6 tv's and a modem on one coax without an amp... good luck

digital needs beter signal levels and quality to work

Here in NEO, qam channel scan shows like 100 channels all of which don't decode because they're encrypted qam.. so you get a black screen

A year ago there were at least 60 you could watch on QAM

and around 40 on NTSC analog

Boz
Sharer

Spectrum announced that my area is going all digital on 3/2/18. 

We currently have 5 TVs, 1 with a Spectrum DVR, and 4 with a Roku each running the Spectrum TV app.

A lower-end Roku Express currently costs ~$25 if on sale, or $29.99 at regular price.  All of our TVs have a Roku Streaming Stick 3600R, purchased when on sale at Target for $28.25 each on 11/27/16.  Prior to that, we were using 4 old Roku 2 XS Streaming Player 3100R devices from 2012.  These lower end Roku devices might not fit everyone's needs, but they have worked very well for us.

The Spectrum TV app on Roku has worked very well for us, and has been very reliable.  The only thing we don't like about it is having to scroll to get to the desired channel.  Hopefully an app update will allow some kind of more direct navigation to the desired channel sometime soon.

In the meantime, sorting channels by network name, setting up favorite channels, and making use of the recent channels list, all make the Spectrum TV app on Roku a little easier for us to use.

Anyway, all this to say, that even though though Spectrum TV has been stable and reliable for us, I often read about outages or other issues with the Spectrum TV app or watch.spectrum.net .  So, we have been comforted to know that we could still watch a number of channels using the cable coming out of the wall if the Spectrum TV app was down, even though the number of channels available using a cable directly out of the wall was significanly less than when using the Spectrum TV app.

Since Spectrum offered a cable box free for 1 year as part of this change to all digital, we took advantage of that and ordered one, so if we really want to watch something important on one of the 4 TVs that primarily use the Spectrum TV app on a Roku, we will still be able to do so using the cable connection out of the wall and the cable box.  So, we'll keep track of how many times the Spectrum TV app on Roku fails to work properly.  But if the Spectrum TV app on Roku continues to be as relaible as it's been so far for us, we'll just turn in the extra cable box at the end of the free year.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on this issue...

Established Sharer

It may be time to rethink how video programming on these extra TV's are apportioned..

You can also consider installing an antenna, and having some (but not necessarily all) televisions displaying OTA programming.  Hopefully the coaxial cable in your home is run from each room to a central location (home run), and splitters aren't installed around every corner for those six televisions.

Expert

@dstoffawrote:

It may be time to rethink how video programming on these extra TV's are apportioned..

You can also consider installing an antenna, and having some (but not necessarily all) televisions displaying OTA programming.  Hopefully the coaxial cable in your home is run from each room to a central location (home run), and splitters aren't installed around every corner for those six televisions.

disconnect the lines at the cable co splitter and connect a properly grounded and surge protected antenna there.