Newcomer

Digital converter

Why does the Spectrum web site say that "Digital converters are NO longer available"...? Don't I need one for my TV that has the coaxd cable plugged directly into the back? Where do I get these adapters if Spectrum doesn't supply them?

9 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Digital converter

Spectrum doesn't support these simple digital adapters. You would need a 2 way set top box or a Roku to run the Spectrum TV app on that tv.

Sharer

jdobbertin wrote:

Why does the Spectrum web site say that "Digital converters are NO longer available"...? Don't I need one for my TV that has the coaxd cable plugged directly into the back? Where do I get these adapters if Spectrum doesn't supply them?

Spectrum will no longer issue the small, deck-of-playing-cards size Cisco 170HD digital adapters that TWC was issuing.

You will need a full-size two-way-communications Set Top Box (i.e. - Cable Box) to view video programming instead.  They accept COAX input and output to:  Component, Composite, or RF.

Community Manager

@jdobbertin

We encourage you to contact support directly for further assistance.

Please contact us at: 

James M. 
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care

Browser

so if you exchange a digital adapter that is $4 they won't give you an adapter in return anymore?

wil lthey give you a $11.75 box in exchange for $4-$6 instead?

Expert

Maybe "free" for the first year...

There were 150,170 and 250 DTA's which were a simple one way cable box. More of twc/ spectrum is going to SDV and that needs a 2 way box.

`There were major issues with one way since there's no way remote diagnostics can be run and so much of the TWC infrastructure was in horrible shape since digital qam needs way better signal quality than analog did.. They can't even go to QAM 1024 as Qam 256 is marginal...

Established Sharer

drumroll wrote:

so if you exchange a digital adapter that is $4 they won't give you an adapter in return anymore?

If you already have one that breaks and you just need to replace it you MIGHT be able to IF they still have them in stock. Otherwise, no.

Expert

DTA (digital Transport Adapter) Digital converter and converter boxes really don't exist as nothing is adapted or converted. These are actual stripped out cable boxes that replace the tuner in your TV, and you can use many computer monitors and tunerless TV's with them as well as all other cable boxes and DVR's.

The only cable converters/ adapters were analog ones that converted cable channels to uhf tv channels so you could use your tv tuner and remote before cable ready tuners became available. None  of the above had Decription, for that you required a cable box.

Then Qam came around, some sets did cable qam and were supposed to have cablecard slots for encrypted qam.  Sorry but that never happenned.

So you now need to either buy a Tivo, rent a TA and Cablecard, or rent a full cable box

Sharer

drumroll wrote:

Tricky here...  IN my market, on a legacy TWC plan:

DTA's rent for $4 per month....

TWC set top boxes rent for $11.75 per month...

BUT Spectrum set top boxes rent for $6.99 per month ($5.99 + $1.00 for the secure connection fee)  This MIGHT have changed.  What I do recall is that a full set-top box on a Spectrum plan was significantly cheaper than one on a TWC Plan.

So, to that end, you coudl migrate to a Spectrum plan and get a chepaer set top box, but your programming / channels may change, which opens up another can of worms.

I'd check retail rates and channel lineups in your market to see if going Spectrum makes sense for you. The channels you lose in the switch may not be of any consequence to you.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Spectrum had to concede a lot and grandfathered a lot of lower priced connections for a limited time in order to get the big states to not veto their takeover of TWC and Brighthouse.  If your seervice connection is in New York, your timetable and rates forDTA converters are different than anywhere else.