Not applicable

Digital Audio Volume Level Suddenly Very Low

As of this morning, the volume level of the digital audio output from our set-top box (Technicolor DVR: Spectrum201-T, via HDMI) is suddenly very low, which means we have to crank the TV volume way up past its normal setting to achieve a reasonable listening level. We've tried every conceivable setting on both the box and TV with no success. The digital audio volume is set to Fixed and cannot be changed. I spent an hour with a Live Chat agent but to no avail. The last option suggested was to change the HDMI cable, which I did, but it didn't help. Of course, we had been through the other options, including cold reboot and wait 20 minutes before turning the box back on.

As I mentioned, the problem began this morning. We're wondering: 1) if anyone else with this same equipment has experienced this recently; 2) whether there's some way to escalate the issue resolution; and 3) do we simply need to request new equipment?

All feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Digital Audio Volume Level Suddenly Very Low

@dwkear wrote:

As of this morning, the volume level of the digital audio output from our set-top box (Technicolor DVR: Spectrum201-T, via HDMI) is suddenly very low, which means we have to crank the TV volume way up past its normal setting to achieve a reasonable listening level. We've tried every conceivable setting on both the box and TV with no success. The digital audio volume is set to Fixed and cannot be changed. I spent an hour with a Live Chat agent but to no avail. The last option suggested was to change the HDMI cable, which I did, but it didn't help. Of course, we had been through the other options, including cold reboot and wait 20 minutes before turning the box back on.

As I mentioned, the problem began this morning. We're wondering: 1) if anyone else with this same equipment has experienced this recently; 2) whether there's some way to escalate the issue resolution; and 3) do we simply need to request new equipment?

All feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

Greetings,

Is this on all channels?  Have you experimented with any of the other audio settings, or gone through and see if they have changed?.  Change your range from "Narrow" to "Normal?"  Audio output to Stereo?  Experiment with them in Settings.  I think the Menu setting that you want is "Devices"  Not sure, but in the right side, in the Settings Menu, it will say, "Press Select" for additional settings.  Have you also tried changing the Volume from "Fixed" to "Variable?"  Is your TV hooked up to an external sound system, in which case you would select "Wide." range?

Can you provide for us your State, City, and Zip? A moderator can than investigate and see if there is an audio troubleshooting ticket open for your box and/or area?  Last night between 12-5am is Spectrum's normal update/maintenance window.  Voicemail in my area said that they were updating video services, so maybe your area had the same fate?  I hope an update didn't mess up your box!

Satch

Not applicable

Re: Digital Audio Volume Level Suddenly Very Low

Thank you, Satch.  Good suggestions, all. Unfortunately, we had tried all those settings, without success.  As for the Fixed/Variable setting, as I mentioned that cannot be changed, presumably because of the digital output. But if there were a way to change it that would be the most logical step.

I think you're on the money about the update, though.  The other anamoly is that the Menu light on the box, which never came on before, now stays  on; and, intermittently, the Navigation Cluster as well. Curiously, the user manual describes these as controls, but they're just lights. 

Your suggestion to post our location seems sound, so here it is:

New York, NY 10029

Thanks again for your reply.