SCJ
Rookie
SCJ

Digital Adapter???

I have one TV with a Digital Box for my digital service.  I currently have other TV's that can view broadcast and basic tiers.  Will I be able to continue to view broadcast and basic channels on my current TV's after digital conversion is complete or will all TV's require a Digital Box or Adapter.  What about TV's with digital tunner? 

Please use plain text.
Observer
BrandonT

Re: Digital Adapter???

If you're referring to the Analog-to-Digital conversion taking place in the NY/NJ areas this summer, once the conversion to an "All-Digital" network is complete, there will no longer be analog stations broadcast over our network in those areas. This means that any TV, VCR, DVD player or similar device with a cable line plugged directly into it will not be able to pick up any analog stations.

As for TVs with a digital tuner, certain local broadcast stations and public-access television will likely be broadcast "in the clear" and will be picked up by any device with a QAM tuner (as has been the case in other areas that have undergone Partial Analog Reclaimation), however to access the entire lineup included with your package, in particular those channels converted to Switched Digital Video (SDV),  it is recommended that each TV have a set-top box or Digital Tuning Adapter. These need not be expensive additions to your package-- and in the case of DTAs, free for a certain period of time-- but will allow us to provide better value services now and in the future with the extra bandwidth we'll have to work with.

You'll find more information about this conversion here, as well as options for ordering any needed adapters. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to respond/post in these Community Forums or be sure to reach out to us on Facebook, Twitter (@TWC_Help) or by e-mail (twcable.help@twcable.com).

Please use plain text.
Newcomer
SorryCharlie

Some of the Milwaukee stations are converting to HD only and you have to have a TWC adapter or you cannot view them, even if you have an HD TV.  Just went through this and it is a real ripoff.  They direct you to "twc.com/digitaladapter" which shows the adapters are free.  The next day an email appears asking you to call to answer some questions.  That is when they tell you about the $9.99 shipping fee and the $5.88/mo rental fee for the digital adapter.  If I am going to fool around with all these extra adapters and remote controls it will be worth going to hulu and mlb.com and nfl.com.

Please use plain text.
Newcomer
WolfHartt

I received a letter about this conversion in the San Diego area starting October 15th, 2013.  I tried to order my free digital adapters and was told I was "not in a serviceable area for the program".  

The website I was sent to by the letter only mentions the NY/NJ area.  Why did a letter go out to San Diego residents only to be told we can't order adapters since we don't live in NY/NJ area?

Please use plain text.
Rookie
ollieh

I don't understand the reasoning why if cable co's such as TW are converting to all digital that they will not broadcast the basic channel lineup in the clear/unencrypted QAM?

Can someone from TW explain this?  It just seems to be a ploy to nickel and dime customers for adapters and set top boxes, which are annoying to have to deal with (extra remotes, room for the boxes, etc.).  With virtually all TV's sold nowadays having built-in QAM tuners, what is the difference in broadcasting the basic channels unencrypted versus them being broadcast in analog unscrambled?

If this indeed becomes the case for my area, it will make the switch to satellite even more attractive.  If I'm going to be forced to have an extra remote and box for each TV, I might as well go to satellite.

Please use plain text.
Rookie
ollieh

[ Edited ]

After a little more research, this may be the answer to my question:

http://hometheaterreview.com/fcc-rules-to-make-it-harder-to-get-unencrypted-cable-channels-without-a...

If TW ends up doing this, it will suck for the customer, and for TW when I cancel and switch to satellite.

Please use plain text.
Newcomer
ralydee

They've just started this digital conversion in my area. I've got a couple of the adapters on order from TWC but my question is do we have to use the adapter that TWC provides or will any digital TV converter work?

Please use plain text.
Observer
4x4van

[ Edited ]

This is really *******!  And in reality, it has nothing to do with "digital" vs analog.  These so-called "digital transport adapters" are nothing more than encryption/decryption devices.  All of our TVs are digital capable.  Cable companies are now allowed to encrypt their channels, and we need the device to decrypt them.

I just picked up my DTAs (3 of them).  They're crap.  I installed one, activated it (about a 20 minute process to update, search channels, and activate), and EVERY SINGLE CHANNEL now cuts out (both picture and sound) for 1-2 seconds every 10-20 seconds!  So I tried a second one, to see if I just got a bad one.  Same result.  Yet I don't have the problem on any TV that is hooked directly to the cable, or through a DVR.

Again, these units are NOT digital adapters, they are decryption units, and they are of such low quality that TWC should be sued.

Please use plain text.
Observer
4x4van

[ Edited ]

And it just gets better and better!  The technician showed up yesterday, and got things working.  I don't know what he did since I wasn't home (my wife was), but it was working when I got home.  BUT...there is an amplifier thingy that plugs into a wall outlet that has a coax attached to it (going to a splitter off one of the TV coax lines).  This unit has been here for a couple of years and has nothing to do with the new DTAs.  According to my wife, he said not to unplug that unit, or it would mess things up.  Well, I HAD to unplug it, since he blocked the outlet when he was working on things.  So I unplugged it, re-arranged things, and plugged it back in.  Now, the TV with the DTA in my room is skipping again (but not the TV/DTA in the same room as the amplifier thingy)!!!  Called, and have to wait 4 more days for a tech to come back!!!

Seriously?  I've unplugged/replugged this amp in the past without problems, and in fact the city I live in has occasional power outages.  Am I actually going to have to wait 4-7 days for a technician every time I have a power outage? 

Please use plain text.
Participant
twc90250

[ Edited ]

4x4van wrote:

This is really *******  And in reality, it has nothing to do with "digital" vs analog.  These so-called "digital transport adapters" are nothing more than encryption/decryption devices.  All of our TVs are digital capable.  Cable companies are now allowed to encrypt their channels, and we need the device to decrypt them.

I just picked up my DTAs (3 of them).  They're crap.  I installed one, activated it (about a 20 minute process to update, search channels, and activate), and EVERY SINGLE CHANNEL now cuts out (both picture and sound) for 1-2 seconds every 10-20 seconds!  So I tried a second one, to see if I just got a bad one.  Same result.  Yet I don't have the problem on any TV that is hooked directly to the cable, or through a DVR.

Again, these units are NOT digital adapters, they are decryption units, and they are of such low quality that TWC should be sued.

Actually, they Are digital adapters that convert QAM to analog (and also HDMI for the Cisco ones) in addition to decryption. I haven't tried one yet, but a relative in another area is very unimpressed with hers - they have to be REBOOTED regularly to work again. That $5.88 / month is outrageous, Comcast only charges $2 for their little POC.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Running ODN 7.3.0_29 on a SA 4250HDC set top box
Please use plain text.