Observer

Digital Adapter not available from Spectrum?

Today I wanted to order a digital ADAPTER for one of my TVs that does NOT have a tuner.  I was expecting to be quoted around $3.50 (Columbus, OH).  But the CHAT representative says that digital ADAPTERS are not supported in the Spectrum system.  Really?  What is everyone doing who already has one?    

9 REPLIES
Participant

Re: Digital Adapter not available from Spectrum?

you would need a spectrum receiver,spetrum does not support dtas

Sharer

DTAs are not being offered by Spectrum. If you are still on a legacy TWC plan and already have a DTA it will still work, but you can't add a new one. If you switch to a Spectrum plan the DTAs don't work at all. 

Newcomer

Good to know as well but got a quick question I spoke to a rep that said bye the 14 or 17 in my area we would be converting to spectrum do they send ya somthing in the mail to let u know etc

Sharer

I got notice of the switch by mail, on the bill, commercials, billboards, etc. If you're currently on a legacy TWC plan you won't automatically be switched to a Spectrum plan...yet. You will be able to keep your existing plan as is for the time being. Once you decide to make any changes is when you may be forced to switch to a Spectrum plan. 

Observer

So if you like your plan, you can keep your plan.  Where have I heard that before? Smiley Happy

Expert

They are replacing the worthless DTA's with 2 way cable boxes.

Should be more reliable and updateable

Helper

TW LEgacy just raised the price to 4.00 for these crappy DTA's that are nothing more than QAM tuner with some encryption, I don't think spectrum charges twelve dollar for every box like TW does, though, one positive.

Observer

A few comments above about "these crappy DTA's" being nothing more than a QUAM tuner".  Well, that's all I'm looking for.   I have a SONY KV34HS510 TV that was one of the original HDTVs from around 2003 and so I'm reluctant to part with it.  Great CRT picture, but no ATSC or QUAM tuner, and it won't get the encrypted channels.  It's a TV that is not used for regular viewing, so I'm not interested in a 2-way box that will add $10 to my monthly bill.   A $4 digital adapter would be perfect.  But I'll acknowledge that I am probably in the minority of people who need this solution.

Highlighted
Boz
Sharer

[ Edited ]

glieb wrote:

A few comments above about "these crappy DTA's" being nothing more than a QUAM tuner".  Well, that's all I'm looking for.   I have a SONY KV34HS510 TV that was one of the original HDTVs from around 2003 and so I'm reluctant to part with it.  Great CRT picture, but no ATSC or QUAM tuner, and it won't get the encrypted channels.  It's a TV that is not used for regular viewing, so I'm not interested in a 2-way box that will add $10 to my monthly bill.   A $4 digital adapter would be perfect.  But I'll acknowledge that I am probably in the minority of people who need this solution.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter if you "need" it or not, and it doesn't matter how many people actually "need" it, if Spectrum doesn't want DTAs on their system, they won't provide them.

An option for your old TV is to get a Roku and use the SpectrumTV app.  This is a much better option compared to a DTA, because it will provide you with 100% of the channels you pay for vs just a few using a DTA.

A Roku with the the SpectrumTV app is a decent alternative to paying for a cable box on an old or sledom used TV.