ant
Established Sharer

DVR gets stuck loading and updating data, but can't play my last night's series' episode recordings!

Hello.

As of last week on 2/16/2017, Arris DCX3510M DVR (its settings show Standard DVR Plus, Arris STB Host, Arris 3510, 2 tuners, & 500 GB) got its Navigator upgrade (e.g., power on and get its left side menu -- I'm still trying to get used to this new design!). Things were working well until about 15 minutes ago. I noticed each series needed updates that took a few seconds. Fine since it only happens once for each series since the upgrade. They should be all caught up by now.

However, accessing last night's new episodes' recordings show "Updating data ..." And then I highlight the new recorded episodes from 10 PM PST hours. However, they say "Loading data..." Trying to play them show "Attention -- Episode is currently unavailable Please try again later [OK]". See http://image.prntscr.com/image/896e3e784d9249e0a059ee6cb9c9ea12.jpg for a SD screen capture/shot from my old computer's video capture card.

I noticed these are happening with non-local broadcast recordings so far. Last night's Arrow and The Goldbergs and other series' older recordings did not have this problem, but last night's FX's Legion and Syfy's The Expanse did. However, I didn't have this problem with Sunday night's The Walking Dead and The Talking Dead's new episodes on AMC. What's up (a bug?) and how do I fix it to watch? Smiley Sad

I tried power off and cycling the DVR to see if the problem would go away. Nope! I did find a workaround. Search the series' titles and their episodes and play from DVR. That trick skips the stuckage. I'm currently watching my last night's new Expanse recording.

Thank you in advance. Smiley Happy

--
Ant @ The Ant Farm and Ant's Quality Foraged Links
6 REPLIES
ant
Established Sharer

Re: DVR gets stuck loading and updating data, but can't play my last night's series' episode recordi

Interesting. Now, it works after watching and deleting a couple (Legion and The Goldbergs) of my previous last night's recordings. I wonder if it will happen again in the future. Did I run into a known bug?

--
Established Sharer

Re: DVR gets stuck loading and updating data, but can't play my last night's series' episode recordi

Although I'm  not familiar with your specific DVR, I would suspect that you ran out of space within the file indexing table, even though there was disk space avauilable to record more program material.  Removing one or two program segments forced the recorder to re-sort the index file and remove any blank space. 

ant
Established Sharer

karlbeckman wrote:

Although I'm  not familiar with your specific DVR, I would suspect that you ran out of space within the file indexing table, even though there was disk space avauilable to record more program material.  Removing one or two program segments forced the recorder to re-sort the index file and remove any blank space. 

So, I have to delete recordings to fix it? I haven't seen the problem return for a while. I do have many recordings that are a few years old.

--
Rookie

Ridiculous.
Rookie

I have exact same problem. Recurring problem and likely that hardware is not compatible with latest version of software. Burden is on customer to take equipment in and exchange for newer after getting frustrated with poor quality.
ant
Established Sharer

wholigan wrote:
I have exact same problem. Recurring problem and likely that hardware is not compatible with latest version of software. Burden is on customer to take equipment in and exchange for newer after getting frustrated with poor quality.

Which DVR brand and model do you have?

FYI. I saw it again twice recently. It was tonight (KABC7's new Goldbergs episode) and several days ago (don't remember what I recording and watching, but it was a new episode of something), but the DVR was able to load the data quickly to let me watch their episodes from this screen. Weird. I hope the stuck "Loading data..." doesn't last long to prevent me to play the recordings like on the night of 2/23/2017.

--