Observer

DVR Scheduled Recordings disappeared

Just discovered that my scheduled recordings disapeared. Discovered this when we checked to watch something. It wasn't there and nothing scheduled for the future for anything. Have to now re-schedule all the program series previously set up. 

Anyone else experience this? Might want to check your schedule so you don't get the unpleasant surprise of discovering the program you wanted to watch was not recorded.

8 REPLIES
Expert

Re: DVR Scheduled Recordings disappeared

The DVR got a firmware/guide "upgrade"

Common problem

Trusted Helper

adikapaa wrote:

Just discovered that my scheduled recordings disapeared. Discovered this when we checked to watch something. It wasn't there and nothing scheduled for the future for anything. Have to now re-schedule all the program series previously set up. 

Anyone else experience this? Might want to check your schedule so you don't get the unpleasant surprise of discovering the program you wanted to watch was not recorded.

Greetings,

That sucks!  A few questions:

1.) What is  the made and model of your box?

2.) Do you know if a software update was pushed to the box?  Menu changes, interface changes?

3.) Is this the first time that this has happened?

4.) On your remote, can you press the DVR List button and go to "Remote DVR Manager?"  Now can you go to the Conflicts Section?  (This is the Recording Log.)

5.) Do you see your recordings there at all?  If so, tell us the message and any error number in parenthesis please?

6.) Try a cold reboot of the box.  This means power off the box and TV.  Unplug the box for one minute and plug the box back in, allowing the box to reboot.  Are the recordings back?

Remember that a DVR is NOT a permanent storage archive.  Software updates and system maintenance during the night, (often between midnight-6am) can wipe out recordings.

I would recommend putting the DVR "on watch" for now.  Try to watch your shows within a reasonable amount of time after recording them.  (I would wait no more than three weeks, and try to watch within a one to three week period of time.)  Note that you can also set shows and series to "Do Not Delete."  Do you know how much free space was on the DVR when this happened?  Can you go to On Demand to catch up on your missed shows in the meantime?

If this issue happens again within a short period of time, it might be needed to contact Spectrum to swap out the box.

Satch

Sharer

adikapaa wrote:

While not dealing with a cable company DVR, I've discovered shows not recording for the stupidest reasons.  One that you may be overlooking may not even be a DVR problem, but a guide data problem that your DVR doesn't know how to handle.

If you set a DVR to record an episode of "NCIS: Los Angeles - The Boogey Man" which is airing on a certain day, time, and channel a week in advnace, you may think - OK - This is a no brainer..  The show will be here for me when I get back...  Not so.  After you set up the recording, Tribune Media Services (or their successor) who provides the guide data changed the title of the episode from "The Boogey Man" to "Boogey Man".   Not a big deal, right?  Wrong.  Your DVR will see a different episode title and say, "Well, this isn't the show my owner wanted, so I won't record it..." and boom!  No show.

Just something else to consider.  There could changes in schedule meta-data that your DVR cannot handle or understand...

Trusted Helper

dstoffa wrote:

adikapaa wrote:

While not dealing with a cable company DVR, I've discovered shows not recording for the stupidest reasons.  One that you may be overlooking may not even be a DVR problem, but a guide data problem that your DVR doesn't know how to handle.

If you set a DVR to record an episode of "NCIS: Los Angeles - The Boogey Man" which is airing on a certain day, time, and channel a week in advnace, you may think - OK - This is a no brainer..  The show will be here for me when I get back...  Not so.  After you set up the recording, Tribune Media Services (or their successor) who provides the guide data changed the title of the episode from "The Boogey Man" to "Boogey Man".   Not a big deal, right?  Wrong.  Your DVR will see a different episode title and say, "Well, this isn't the show my owner wanted, so I won't record it..." and boom!  No show.

Just something else to consider.  There could changes in schedule meta-data that your DVR cannot handle or understand...

Great example!

This happens more than people think.  Tribune Media Services is now Gracenote and they do guide listings for a lot of media outlets and entertainment vendors.

Satch

Sharer

So The Boogey Man is deleting recordings?

Sharer

stannc wrote:

So The Boogey Man is deleting recordings?

No.  The Boogey Man doesn't exist.  But Boogie Man was last seen down at the roller disco.

Deleted recordings and shows that don't record are two different problems.

Highlighted

Same exact problem. Got home tonight to watch shows after work and our normal shows have not recorded. Go to the schedule and it's empty. A couple shows are still in the list that haven't been watched but nothing new is going to record as that has been removed... 😞
Observer

Yes, that happens all too frequently. Even if you set the DVR to record all NEW episodes, sometimes the box or service decides not to record that show. Calling customer service will not help because there are a multitude of reasons for this problem.

On broadcast networks, I have avoided some of the more common problems by setting it to record all episodes on this channel at any time. Even with a 2 TB external HDD I cannot do that on cable only channels as they sometimes binge a series for a day or two.

I have gotten in the habit of reviewing today's scheduled recordings in the mornings. Our area gets scheduling updates and other software updates between 4 A.M . and 6 A.M. During those hours, if you are watching TV or a recording, you will notice a long lag between pressing buttons on the remote and the cable box responding.

Now, if I can get my DVR and STB to stop turning off without an input from the remote after 2 A.M. and before 6 A.M. Sometimes I go heat up a meal and return to find the paused show I was watching was shut off because of this nanny power-save feature. I have asked the cable company to disable the feature and they say it is Cisco (Scientific Atlanta DVR and STB) that programmed it that way. I call SA before Cisco bought them, and have called Cisco, and they say it is a cable provider feature. For some reason, neither wants me to conference the other in on the finger pointing calls. And to think I pay rent on the boxes and have no say in how I want to use them.