Rookie

DVR SHOWS ALMOST FULL

H-3272 cable box.  Suddenly, the DVR jumped to 90+% full even though there are fewer than 20 hours recoreded.  Rebooted the box several times.  Spoke with customer service who was clueless.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Is there a way to reset the DVR counter WITHOUT losing all of the programs?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES
Highlighted
Sharer

Re: DVR SHOWS ALMOST FULL

I wonder if the hard drive is failing? I've seen this in computer hard drives a few times over the years. Not sure if they work the same way in a DVR but I would assume they do.

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

@Peter144

Unfortunately, what you describe is usually an indication of a failing hard-drive and the equipment will need to be replaced.   You can also try a reboot from the TWC app which will also send refresh signals.  If that does not work, I would suggest exchanging the equipment at a local TWC store.

James M.
Social Media Customer Care
Community Forums Moderator 

Rookie

Before I spend part of Saturday again returning my DVR to Time Warner for replacement (it has actually  been almost 2 years which is the longest that a TWC DVR has ever worked for me)

- is there a way to do a hard or factory reset at home, wipe the drive and start again?

Thank you.

Community Manager

Peter, 

No,  there is not.  If the remote reboot from the app does not restore full functionality, it will need to be replaced. 

James 

Rookie

Happy to report that some extensive web research provided the way to reformat the hard drive! Took about 10 minutes. Obviously, lost all of the recordings but the counter went back to zero and everything is working.

It is unfortunate that Time Warner (now Spectrum) seems to have a corporate culture that says - it doesn't matter what we spend on equipment, labor, service calls or whatever, , we just mark it up and pass it through our complient regulators to our consumers.  And because we are a monopoly, we can ask our customers  to bring in  perfectly functioning equipment for exchange and they have no choice.

A real company would have diagnosed issue over the phone and talked me through the re-formatting to try to save the supply chain cost of replacing the box.  Too bad  it doesn't work that way for Time Warner.