Newcomer

DVR Record from any room.

When do you think TWC/Spectrum will get the message that most other companies have the ability to record from any device in any room not just the main box.
6 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: DVR Record from any room.

TWC had whole home DVR. Spectrum doesn't support it for new customers, only for existing customers that already had it.  Word is that Spectrum is developing a cloud based DVR.

Expert

I think you can set record on the ap on your wireless devices.. It used to work. just couldn't play back recordings...

Unknown what features the cloud based will have, neither are designed for long term archives.

Established Sharer

agentx5 wrote:

reds91185 wrote:

TWC had whole home DVR. Spectrum doesn't support it for new customers, only for existing customers that already had it. 

Uh... pardon my but this is false information.  Is that what they're telling customers?

It is possible to have MoCA whole-home on a SPP (spectrum pricing and packaging) coded account, new or not.  It's just not advertised/marketed.

Yes this is exactly what customers are told. An employee at a local Spectrum storefront location said this to me directly when he asked me about my TiVo experience and how he was considering TiVo himself because he couldn't get whole home DVR from Spectrum.

Browser

I really wish they would bring back whole house dvr like TWC had. It is existing technology, it is not an extraordinary effort. I am skeptical about the cloud based dvr. Just give us the whole house for now.

Expert

TWC never had the bandwidth to run cloud back to a regional data center that serves several states, so my guess is that to get the cloud to work, they'll need to install massive servers at head ends for the storage.

It will probably use a single US channel and 8 DS channels seperate from the cable modems, I seriously doubt they'll alow portable devices to use it unless there's a connection between a master box and the data modems router.

Most of the cable boxes made now have an 8x4 modem built in as well as an ethernet port

Some have bluetooth and Moca

Observer

I never had it before, but they advertised it. So when I switched over the availablilty was gone... am dissappointed. I can get a DVR recorder for another room but it doesn't make sense to me.

I'd like to be able to record on the one box I have and watch my recordings in another room. And not get a separate box to record programs separately in another room. Doesn't make sense to me. If I am in bed and want to watch something I recorded in my den, I have to go downstairs to to do. It isn't a terrible concept but rather inconvenient considering how much I already pay!!