Newcomer

DVR Record from any room.

When do you think TWC/Spectrum will get the message that most other companies have the ability to record from any device in any room not just the main box.
7 REPLIES
Helper

Re: DVR Record from any room.

TWC had whole home DVR. Spectrum doesn't support it for new customers, only for existing customers that already had it.  Word is that Spectrum is developing a cloud based DVR.

Expert

I think you can set record on the ap on your wireless devices.. It used to work. just couldn't play back recordings...

Unknown what features the cloud based will have, neither are designed for long term archives.

Participant

I really wish they would bring back whole house dvr like TWC had. It is existing technology, it is not an extraordinary effort. I am skeptical about the cloud based dvr. Just give us the whole house for now.

Browser

I never had it before, but they advertised it. So when I switched over the availablilty was gone... am dissappointed. I can get a DVR recorder for another room but it doesn't make sense to me.

I'd like to be able to record on the one box I have and watch my recordings in another room. And not get a separate box to record programs separately in another room. Doesn't make sense to me. If I am in bed and want to watch something I recorded in my den, I have to go downstairs to to do. It isn't a terrible concept but rather inconvenient considering how much I already pay!!

Not applicable

I'm shocked... We just made the move from Uverse in the last week. We've been trying to figure the DVR out and I stumbled on to this thread. No whole house DVR. All the excitement we had from the increase in internet speed has just came crashing down to earth. What a disappointment...
Observer

I suspect that a cloud-based DVR for each subscriber would likely store only a pointer to each recorded program and to each scheduled program.   Plus a pointer to the suscriber's current or last indexed viewing location in each program.  And maybe a temporary space for programs actively being viewed by the subscriber.  This would require very little storage per subscriber.  The service provider would have to maintain storage or access to every program saved by one or more subscribers for the duration of any subscriber's saved pointers.   

Both Spectrum sales staff at multiple stores, and Spectrum home support technicians, in my Austin Texas market are saying Whole House DVR is only supported for legacy customers who purchased it from Time Warner and never stopped paying for it as they were transitioned to Spectrum.

If MsRaye is correct in his coment: 

"I think you can set record on the ap on your wireless devices"

Then you might find a workable solution if you look at the following thread in the

TV / Equipment / DVR-Internet-Connectivity forum:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Equipment/DVR-Internet-Connectivity/td-p/144258/jump-to/first-u...

In your Spectrum market:

If you can record using your wireless device app.

And you connect your DVR's using their internet ports per the above thread.

Then you can view and play all of the recordings on all of the DVR's from any DVR.

Note:  This currently works for me on most DVR's except the Spectrum 201-T DVR

which is the DVR that Spectrum has introduced to replace all of the Time Warner DVR's...

Helper

Mwdanford wrote:
I'm shocked... We just made the move from Uverse in the last week. We've been trying to figure the DVR out and I stumbled on to this thread. No whole house DVR. All the excitement we had from the increase in internet speed has just came crashing down to earth. What a disappointment...

If the upfront cost isn't an issue I highly recommend ditching the leased set top boxes and go with a CableCard setup using a TiVo and Minis.