Newcomer

DVR: Not recorded because the channel was not available (8).

So, I see that my DVR is recording the show, but when I go to watch, it has not recorded and this is the message I get. How is this fixed?
2 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: DVR: Not recorded because the channel was not available (8).

TWC5 wrote:
So, I see that my DVR is recording the show, but when I go to watch, it has not recorded and this is the message I get. How is this fixed?

Hello,

"Channel Not Available" errors are often the result of SDV or Switched Digital Video Errors.  Switched Digital Video is a process that puts certain channels on extended bandwidth so that more stations can be added to a cable system.  There are only a certain number of bandwidth slots that SDV can handle.  If too many people tune into the station at once, the SDV transfer of data becomes overcrowded on the server, resulting in "Channel Not Available" errors.

You can also see this if the guide updated the listings, and those listings were not related to the same show when you set up the recording.  For example, let's say you record a show called "The Mysteries of Life" on a Wednesday night.

Than sometime before Wednesday night, Gracenote, the company that does the listings for Spectrum and other vendor guides changes the guide data for the show to now be called "Mysteries of Life."  The DVR no longer has a matching show and gives the "Channel Not Available Error." when the recording tries to start.

This is not a box issue or very rarely a signal issue.  Best thing to do is to try to reschedule the show or watch On Demand.  Let us know if this becomes an issue, and we can help set up a service call for Spectrum to do a signal and drop-line check.

Satch

Expert

Re: DVR: Not recorded because the channel was not available (8).

Copy and paste your modems signal level and error log pages... if the day in question had a lot of log entries and correctable/uncorrectable counts are high, you have a coaxial issue

Verify there's no open splitter ports/ extra's.. all connectors must be shiny and tight, the center wire shiny copper and extend 1/8" beyond the nuts. This includes backside of wall plates. The outside grounding block must look new and be bonded to the electric meter ground wire below the meter. If oiutside line runs through trees, it's probably chesed up.

Cable boxes/ dvr's must have 3" of clearance on all sides to dissipate heat.