SM
Newcomer
SM

DVR Fast forward - Removal of enhancement.

Last year an enhancement was made to the DVRs so that when you fast forwarded through commercials and hit the play, the system would automatically jump back 2-3 seconds and start playing at basically the exact spot you wanted it to.  However, today a new update was loaded which removed this feature.  PLEASE BRING THIS FEATURE BACK!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Spectator
ilovebeer

Re: DVR Fast forward - Removal of enhancement.

What type of DVR do you have? I haven't noticed any change in the way fast forwarding works..

Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
MegaMasterX

SM wrote:

Last year an enhancement was made to the DVRs so that when you fast forwarded through commercials and hit the play, the system would automatically jump back 2-3 seconds and start playing at basically the exact spot you wanted it to.  However, today a new update was loaded which removed this feature.  PLEASE BRING THIS FEATURE BACK!!!!!

I have actually noticed this myself, and was kind of curious about it. I haven't had much time to fiddle around with the DVR Compensation settings yet. 

Please use plain text.
Newcomer
crama

[ Edited ]

I too have noticed this rediculous change. I called their "tech support" and was told that this is their new change and get over it!

What a bunch of [edit: vulgarity removed -Moderators] to do a dvr update and take a way a very useful function. It looks like their intent is to make it more difficult to bypass the comercials. Now, I must press the play button, which stops the footage at that spot (no backup) and then press the backup button, which I was told will backup 15 seconds per press.

For me, it looks like it is time to set up a satilite dish again.

This is the kind of nonsense that happens when we have governments (state and federal) that don't regulate these monopolistic companies for the benefit of consumers, but for the benefit of the companies they're charged to regulate.

Please use plain text.
Rookie
lagdaemon

[ Edited ]

Yes this was a change to remove the compensation for fast forwarding and rewinding.  It hasn't happened to my area yet, but I'll miss it when it does come.

Please use plain text.
Established Sharer
Satch

My box with ODN 6 still has it. I always kept DVR Compensation on Normal, for those who don't have this feature, does the DVR stop in the exact place, or does it compensate to Normal, allowing for some back up time.

Is it known why this feature was taken out? Was it because it was causing that 30-40 day slow down on some of the boxes? A memory issue? Or customers didn't like the feature? There had to be some reason.

Satch
Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
Dust

[ Edited ]

Why did Time Warner Cable remove my DVR Compensation / Jump Back / Auto Snap Back / Auto Jump feature?

- As part of a recent update, we upgraded our software functionality and the DVR compensation feature was removed on DVR set top boxes. DVR compensation started playback a few seconds earlier than the time the play button was hit. When you fast forward now, you can hit the “instant replay” button to jump back approximately 15 seconds in the program.

Are there plans to bring back the functionality?

- Presently, Time Warner Cable has no plans to reintroduce this feature.

Is there any way to make my DVR start playing when the show starts up again after a commercial?
There is no way to automatically start playing the program precisely at the end of a commercial break. However, after you press Play after a commercial break, you can press the “instant replay” button to jump back approximately 15 seconds in the program.

TWC - Northeast Region
Please use plain text.
Established Sharer
Satch

The removal of DVR Compensation will be missed.  It was a feature that you could turn off if you did not like it.  It is now likely that only the legacy MDN boxes will have it, but that feature will probably be removed if they are updated.  For the record:

MDN boxes-are the legacy boxes that do not have a C in the model number (Non C SA boxes, the old Pioneer boxes, although I don't think any Pioneers are in the field anymore, and any boxes that are NOT Samsungs).  The older Motrolla boxes may run MDN.

ODN boxes-are the SA/Cisco's with a C in the model number, also the new Samsungs and new Motrolla's.  ODN boxes are more modern than MDN boxes..

My best guess why TWC removed DVR Compensation is because they see too much redundancy between the DVR Compensation and the Look Back feature.  However,I disagree.  With DVR Compensation, you had the Normal, More, Less, or Off, option, with Normal as the default.  Coming out of  a Fast Forward situation, the jump back amount was set by the user.  Now, with DVR Compensation gone, you will (or in the future will) have to have the DVR stop at the exact spot and than use the Instant Replay button to manually go back.

Jack

Please use plain text.
Established Sharer
Satch

[ Edited ]

I had always heard rumors that DVR Compensation was a memory strain on the boxes, but in light of hearing that some subs said they had better guide speed when turning the DVR Compensation off, I wonder if that feature was causing memory leaks? It could be the only justified reason for its removal. Oh, well, I still have it for however long or short a time in ODN 6.0.19

I heard in some divisions, the techs were instructed to turn off DVR Compensation for subs with new or swapped boxes due to what they said were memory issues with DVR Compensation turned on.  Can any tech confirm that DVR Compensation was a cause of box memory leaks causing the slowdowns, which hopefully ODN 6+ seems to have fixed?  If DVR Compensation activated was a result of such slowdown, than this might make its removal more understandable.

Jack.

Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
MegaMasterX

Satch wrote:

I had always heard rumors that DVR Compensation was a memory strain on the boxes, but in light of hearing that some subs said they had better guide speed when turning the DVR Compensation off, I wonder if that feature was causing memory leaks? It could be the only justified reason for its removal. Oh, well, I still have it for however long or short a time in ODN 6.0.19

I heard in some divisions, the techs were instructed to turn off DVR Compensation for subs with new or swapped boxes due to what they said were memory issues with DVR Compensation turned on.  Can any tech confirm that DVR Compensation was a cause of box memory leaks causing the slowdowns, which hopefully ODN 6+ seems to have fixed?  If DVR Compensation activated was a result of such slowdown, than this might make its removal more understandable.

Jack.

Compensation requires a temporary buffer, so it was a massive strain on the boxes (already limited) memory.  While the latest versions of ODN were supposed to improve memory management, I can't confirm that DVR Comps removal was due to this. 

I can tell you that the effect of the recent updates is dependent on the type of cable box you have. 

Please use plain text.