Highlighted
Observer

DVR Expander External Drive

Does anyone have an external drive working successfully as a DVR expander for their Spectrum issued Arris DCX3510 DVR? Especially one that is not one of these two over priced drives: 1 | 2 ? There are so many other options today that I feel ~$150 for a 1Tb eSATA drive is far from the best bang for my buck.

5 REPLIES
Expert

Re: DVR Expander External Drive

nope, option is off

DVR's are only for temporary storage, external drives will not swap out to a different box or computer

Observer

Are you confirming that only one of the 2 drives I list above can be hooked up via the eSata port on the DVR, to expand its 500Gb storage by the external drive's 1Tb capcacity?

Is that simply because the OS on the dvr is running some flavor of 32-bit linux and hence can only format upto 1Tb in fat32 format and also, that OS may not have a USB3 driver and hence eSata is the fastest way to access the external drive?

If so, I can understand the eSata restriction but why can't I use any other 1Tb drive - as long as it is hooked up via eSata, shouldn't the dvr's OS be able to format and mount it for successful recording?

Established Sharer

belcantoj wrote:

Are you confirming that only one of the 2 drives I list above can be hooked up via the eSata port on the DVR, to expand its 500Gb storage by the external drive's 1Tb capcacity?

Is that simply because the OS on the dvr is running some flavor of 32-bit linux and hence can only format upto 1Tb in fat32 format and also, that OS may not have a USB3 driver and hence eSata is the fastest way to access the external drive?

If so, I can understand the eSata restriction but why can't I use any other 1Tb drive - as long as it is hooked up via eSata, shouldn't the dvr's OS be able to format and mount it for successful recording?

==========

No.   That fact IS that the ISPs can disable any and all ports on DVRs from their end, and there is nothing  a user can do to change the settings.  Few, if any, ISPs allow the use of the extras ports for anything but servicing the units.

There are videos on YouTube and other places showing how to install larger drives on many models of DVRs.

Observer

@MsRaye, @DaKat - What I'm trying to figure out is, whether or not Spectrum has disabled the esata port on the Arris DCX3510 - is there anyone who is successfully being able to use any kind of expanded storage in this way? I'm not looking to move the recordings to my computer or anything else... will just be watching it on the TV the DVR and external drive are paired to.

Proven Sharer

The ports are disabled. Any and all external drives will be a no go.