Occasional Contributor
nanatooley

Currently Unavailable. Please try again later.

I get the above message a lot! We have been told by TWC that they need to install an amplifier at our home in order to handle the 3 cable boxes and 2 computers. Since I live in an older home where the electricity is already stretched to the limits and outlets are overloaded, I'm not ready to accept the responsibility that, to me, seems to lie with Time Warner and not me. Since TWC advertises the Whole House DVR (and I don't even have that), doesn't it seem odd to anyone that they don't seem to have the equipment to actually provide this service? To top it off, the cable box is outside 1 of the bedrooms and the router is installed in another bedroom so I would have to allow TWC to drill another hole in a different room to accommodate this amplifier. The rooms are small and this amplifier would also be placed against a bed skirt - I would assume it would get hot and that makes me uncomfortable with it being against cloth as it would seem as though it could present a fire hazard.

I took a 4 min video on my computer (on which I have one of my cable boxes running through) which showed my going through the premium channels and most of them being unavailable. [Posted on YouTube - link below] Additionally, when I changed the channel to MAX On Demand, it took 40 seconds for the information to come up. (HBO took 20 seconds and SHO took 25 seconds.) Since an Update a couple of weeks ago, the lag time for channels has become terrible. Just changing a channel will take several seconds - it used to happen within 1-2 seconds. Additionally, the Guide is less responsive - and my remote is only about a month old with a new battery so it isn't that.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cENY7d_pUvA

Please use plain text.
TWC Alumni
TWC-BrienH

Re: Currently Unavailable. Please try again later.

If you would like to email us at twcable.help@twcable.com, we can take a look at your account, and work with the local office to investigate and find a better solution to the amplifier issue.

In the meantime, there are several factors we can look at to alleviate the slow performance.  First, I have a few questions that will help us narrow down the cause of the slowness. Do you have an HDTV, and if so, have you adjusted the output resolution of the cable box(es)?  If it's ouputting resolutions that are not applicable to your TV, it can cause delays.  Have you rebooted the cable box(es) recently? Sometimes following a software update, additional reboots are needed for best performance.

-----------------------------------------------------
Giving Enjoys is a great way to thank the Community!
Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
ANTHONYTWC

You probably have an ingress issue on the return path caused by either loose connections, bad cable and/or off an old tv set in the house. A TWC tech should be able to check this using their upstream ingress check on their meter.  A return amplifier will only cause a greater issue if the lines are not clean.  Ingress will cause channels to black out/ show not available/ slow issues on internet and or phone quality issues.  

Please use plain text.
Guitar4Him

[ Edited ]

Sorry folks, but your explanation is [garbage].  We have the same problem at my house.  I have 3 DVR's and see the "Currently Unavailable...." message frequently on all 3....but at different times.  I had T-W check our signal  strength and it was reported as perfect.  Sometimes, when this situation occurs, going up or down a channel and then, back to the problem channel will restore it.  Sometimes, a reboot of the DVR is required.  It's frustrating not to be able to get a channel on a DVR in the living room but it will work in the other rooms and vice-versa.  I've talked to the neighbors and they have the problem as well.

This issue has been discussed ad-infinitum in the AVS forums for years....yet the problem remains...

Ken

Please use plain text.
jwzotta

I'm having the same problem with this too. Before it was just the high number channels (anything over 200) but now it almost anywhere at anytime. I have only 1 cable box in the living room. In the past 2 months, there was only 1 week when all the channels were working. TWC was there about 2 months ago at my house and replaced the cable from the modem to the box but it did liitle to remedy it.

Also why can't they get the remote to work the TV and cable box? This use to work but has not been in the last 3 months. To change the volumne, I have to hit the TV button but channel cjanger doesn't work. To change channels, I need to hit the cable buttom but the volumne control don't work.

Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
Dust

For the volume issue, If you have the remote with the System On/Off button on the top left these steps should take care of that.

Programming Volume Control

Volume and Mute control are factory programmed to automatically transfer to the respective Component mode you select, as follows:

CBL:CBL  TV:TV  VCR:TV  DVD:TV  AUX:AUX

However, you can program the volume controls (Volume Up, Volume Down and Mute) from one Component to operate in another Component.

If you wish to store the TV volume control in CBL mode, use the following steps.

Press the [CBL] button and the [OK/SEL] button simultaneously for 3 seconds. The [CBL] Component LED will turn on for 30 seconds.

Press the [VOL UP] button.
Press the [TV] button.

The Component LED will blink twice to confirm the programming.

To return to original state: If you wish to restore the CBL volume control in CBL mode, repeat the above steps but press [CBL] in step 3.

TWC - Northeast Region
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Satch

[ Edited ]

Dust wrote:

For the volume issue, If you have the remote with the System On/Off button on the top left these steps should take care of that.

Programming Volume Control

Volume and Mute control are factory programmed to automatically transfer to the respective Component mode you select, as follows:

CBL:CBL  TV:TV  VCR:TV  DVD:TV  AUX:AUX

However, you can program the volume controls (Volume Up, Volume Down and Mute) from one Component to operate in another Component.

If you wish to store the TV volume control in CBL mode, use the following steps.

Press the [CBL] button and the [OK/SEL] button simultaneously for 3 seconds. The [CBL] Component LED will turn on for 30 seconds.

Press the [VOL UP] button.
Press the [TV] button.

The Component LED will blink twice to confirm the programming.

To return to original state: If you wish to restore the CBL volume control in CBL mode, repeat the above steps but press [CBL] in step 3.

From what I understand, the first thing you have to do is program your remote, (if it is a new remote) to control the on/off for your TV.  For new installs the tech will (should) do this.  However, if you go to a TWC service center to swap out your remote, you will have to program it to Power On/Off your TV.  If you don't, when you press the Power Button, the box will be the only thing that turns off.  The TV will look like its off, but backlight will show its on (especially in a dark room.)

If your TV has NOT been programed to synch with the TWC remote:

1.) Note the remote type on your remote.

2.) Google Search the make and model

3.) You will get instructions, usually in a PDF file about how to program the remote to power off/on your TV.

4.) Follow those instructions and you should than be able to have your cable remote work with the on/off for your TV.

After those steps, you can program for different equipment as an option.  Dust, for what model remote(s) do your steps above apply for controlling the volume?  My assumption was you have to do my four steps first, if the remote has not been pre-set by the tech to control your brand of TV.

Also, if you swap out your remote, will you get programing instructions for it?  (Or is that at least, supposed to happen?)

Satch

Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
WolvenOne

The instructions above refer to the Clikr-5 series of remote. Here is a link to a nice Flash tutorial of how to program that style of remote. Found it very helpful in the past.

Many of the other types of the remotes we have used can be found here.

Please use plain text.
mtgolflady

We have this problem off and on with various HD channels. Found this forum tonight looking for answers as it is happening almost nightly at 7:00 pm when turning to CNBC. The channel is unavailable for about 30 minutes and then works. Looks like no good answers from TW after reading the posts.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
POd-in-OPKS

[ Edited ]

We just returned to TWC this past week and the "return" has been a most-horrible experience making us remember why we left TWC in the first place.  We are experiencing this same message daily on most channels. 

I wish I would have been present when the installer was here as I would have made him check all the HD and non-HD channels we're paying for to make sure they are viewable.  According to my wife who was here - the contract installer tech was in such a hurry to complete his work and go home.  The HD channels were not working and he told my wife the problem was with the HDMI connection on the TV (that's odd because it worked all the way up until we disconneced the competitor's equipment).  I came home and after checking the connections, found out he didn't have the correct TV SOURCE setting.

I want TWC to fix the problem of us not being able to view all the channels we are paying for.  I want this fixed as soon as possible.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Please use plain text.