Observer

Constant Reboot--E-3 Error Message

My Samsung DVR just decided to reboot itself tonight (not unusual--seems to happen whenever Spectrum does some sort of upgrade/change to the system)--and instead of completing the reboot process, when it got to L-3, it got stuck there, then I got an E-3 Error message.  And after a manual reboot and one done from Spectrum--no progress--the E-3 error continues.   They're saying I have to swap out the box...but there are things on the DVR I don't want to lose--any way around this and to get the box working again?

3 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Constant Reboot--E-3 Error Message

@Baseballmaven wrote:

My Samsung DVR just decided to reboot itself tonight (not unusual--seems to happen whenever Spectrum does some sort of upgrade/change to the system)--and instead of completing the reboot process, when it got to L-3, it got stuck there, then I got an E-3 Error message.  And after a manual reboot and one done from Spectrum--no progress--the E-3 error continues.   They're saying I have to swap out the box...but there are things on the DVR I don't want to lose--any way around this and to get the box working again?

Hi Baseballmaven,

UGGG!  It doesn't look good.  But there is one last thing you can try, and it worked for this customer from years ago.  Before you go to bed tonight, power off the box and unplug it with the TV off for the night.

In the morning with the TV still off, plug in the box and allow it to reboot.  It just might complete the boot process this time.  But if it doesn't, you will need a new box.  Constant rebooting is almost always a bad box.

If this happens again, contact Spectrum to get a tech out for a signal and drop line test.  Don't reboot any equipment for six hours prior to this test.  The tech needs to see the error codes and reboots will reset them.  Swapped boxes won't solve bad signals, wiring, or drop line issues.

When the tech comes, ask him to wait for a good 20 minutes to a half hour so that the box does not reboot on its own.  If you get past that first half hour with no rebooting, automatically, you should be all set.

Satch

Newcomer

Just exchanged my cable box because it kept rebooting. New one doing the same thing??
Observer

Turns out--somewhere during the middle of the night--the E-3 disappeared and everything worked normally again--guessing there was some sort of software upgrade glitch (Spectrum often does unannounced upgrades that reboot the system) that got fixed during the night when they pushed out something else.  Wonderful technician came out a couple of days later and he said it also could have had to do with the line from the alley to my home--he found a lot of evidence of squirrels having chewed the lines--so he's coming back to take care of that.