ClearQAM local channels - Los Angeles

[ Edited ]

Hi,

1) Is ClearQAM available in Los Angeles?

2) Can I use a splitter SV-2G (5/1000MHz 3.5dB) to split my Spectrum internet services (to Modem/Router and TV)? 

3) Which input of the TV should I select (TV-Air or Cable)?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: ClearQAM local channels - Los Angeles

[ Edited ]

johnnybegoode wrote:

Hi,

1) Is ClearQAM available in Los Angeles?

2) Can I use a splitter SV-2G (5/1000MHz 3.5dB) to split my Spectrum internet services (to Modem/Router and TV)? 

3) Which input of the TV should I select (TV-Air or Cable)?

Thank you!

1)  No, TWC now encrypts all channels.  That's why you now need either a set-top adaptor for basic only, or a full set-top converter for additional channnels.  That's the result of so many people trying to steal cable TV service.

2)  No, but TWC will provide a splitter when they install the set-top box for your TV.

3)  You'll use either an HDMI cable or component multi-cable between the set-top converter and TV, depending on your TV set's capabilities.  You would only use TV-Air when watching broadcast TV using an external antenna.

Valued Contributor

Re: ClearQAM local channels - Los Angeles

[ Edited ]

I live in Fairport Harbor, Ohio, zip 44077. My cable service is Spectrum's lowest tier (can't recall the name offhand), and I also have a Roku player with the Spectrum app connected to my flat screen TV in my living room. None of my channels, including broadcast, are encrypted; in fact, if I set my TV's input selections to "TV" mode, I can receive many standard cable channels, including local broadcast. Is this because I am using my Roku player ahead of the TV? I remember reading somewhere that Rokus are now being used in some areas as substitutes for cable boxes, although these are of course not HD cable boxes. I also have a TV in my bedroom which is connected directly to the cable, without a box; this set gets every channel my flat screen gets (except of course digital channels). I get no warnings, notices, etc. of any kind on either set, especially my bedroom one, that "(channel name) is not available on your level of service because it is scrambled. A Spectrum-authorized cable box is required to view this tier of service." Apparently, Spectrum must consider Roku players as bare-bones "cable boxes", since my flat screen works perfectly well on the cable with simply a Roku ahead of it.

Also, are there other reasons other than theft of service problems that Time Warner Cable is encrypting cable services, making such services unwatchable on televisions without cable boxes? I realize the Roku box has little or nothing to do with the cable, since the former receives all programming via the Internet; however, my question is this: If the signals over the cable are encrypted, would my Roku box be affected in any way? My best guess is it would not, since it has nothing to do with the cable; the reason a cable connection is required to get local TV with the Roku is due to the manner in which the billing system is set up, and that Spectrum must pay for the right to carry broadcast channels over the cable, regardless of whether the subscriber uses the cable service or not.