Highlighted
Observer

Channel will not change or respond to the remote

Sometimes if I want to change channels, my SA 8300HD DVR doesn't respond to a remote command. 

It gets stuck on the channel I'm viewing.

I've gotten a new remote but the problem still occurs.  The time interval is variable on when this happens.

I can only use the remote if I reboot the box.

Should I take the box in and get a new one?  I assume it's the fault of the box.

Should I get the same SA 8300HD DVR or is there a better/newer model I should get?

Should I just take it in or should I call Support to tell them about the problem?

3 REPLIES
Contributor

Re: Channel will not change or respond to the remote

My Samsung box does the same thing.  Most likely a glitch in the latest software.  Only repair is to reboot the STB. 

Expert

make sure the box isn't facing an outside window, aquarium or neon lights

Try new batteries.

Trusted Helper

Gort wrote:

Sometimes if I want to change channels, my SA 8300HD DVR doesn't respond to a remote command. 

It gets stuck on the channel I'm viewing.

I've gotten a new remote but the problem still occurs.  The time interval is variable on when this happens.

I can only use the remote if I reboot the box.

Should I take the box in and get a new one?  I assume it's the fault of the box.

Should I get the same SA 8300HD DVR or is there a better/newer model I should get?

Should I just take it in or should I call Support to tell them about the problem?

Several options you can take,

Is this the SA-8300HD or the SA-8300HDC.  The SA-8300HD was a fast box in the day, but its really super old.  The newer SA-8300HDC is newer, but also has a tendency to be slower.  Things to try:

1.) Reboot the box.  Cold Reboot for 30 seconds.  Turn off the box for 30 Seconds, plug back in, and allow the box to reboot.

2.)  The remotes IR sensor is right at the clock, aim at the clock and toward a down position where the top of the remote  is in line with the clock on the box.

3.) Is this a Synergy or Clickr Backlight remote.  Try to get a Synergy, they are more responsive than the Clickr.  You can also call TWC customer service to get a new remote.  Be sure to ask them not to charge you for the swap and try to request a Synergy remote.

4.) Make sure nothing blocks the line of site between the remote and the box.  Is your box behind a closed glass door in a cabinet structure, this can cause remote problems.

5.) Get NEW Fresh top of the line batteries and install them.  Good quality like Duracell's or Eveready's.

6.) If non of this works, call to have a tech come out for signal and line tests.  Show him the problems with both remotes, it could be something in the system related to your account.  I will also PM you some additional information.

7.) Request a newer box, although some divisions will only give them out to Whole Home DVR subscribers.  The newer boxes are Cisco's, Samsungs, and Montorollas.  I would try to get a Cisco box with a Synergy remote, but have the tech out first for signal tests.

Satch