Highlighted
Observer

Changing Location of TVs

Will it cost me if I decide to rearrange my furniture?   I have the necessary boxes.  All the outlets should be ready to go!

If there is a charge...it is disgraceful!

7 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Changing Location of TVs

Cropsey wrote:

Will it cost me if I decide to rearrange my furniture?   I have the necessary boxes.  All the outlets should be ready to go!

If there is a charge...it is disgraceful!

Outlets as in power outlets?  Or cable outlets?

A proper installation will not have non-terminated coax outlets.  Are you planning to simply run a cable across the floor to the new location?  Or are you going to call the cable company in to do a wall fish?  Can you describe what you are trying to do?

I believe the cable company will charge you to relocate your outlets if there aren't any in the new locations.

Established Sharer

Depending on the work and time required, they might also charge you if they have to disconnect their existing in-wall cabling from the old outlet and connect cabling for the one you now want to use.   As dstoffa noted above, every unused port on an amplifier or splitter must have a terminator fitting installed.  This has a huge effect on your internet service modem.

Observer

There are at least two cable outlets in all rooms.  What I'm trying to understand is...why aren't they all capable of having a TV plugged in to any of them?  If I didn't have the boxes I know I wouldn't be able to receive any TV service.  But..with the boxes why can't I just plug them into any outlet I choose?  I wouldn't be 'cheating'  against Spectrum.

Spectrum Employee

It's a matter of wiring. Those outlets ultimately need to run all the way to the splitter box outside that connects to the main feed line to your house which connects you to the Spectrum network. Those outlets may have been installed by other providers at different times, and were never connected to that splitter that now feeds your Spectrum services.

The outlets you have active right now are active because, at some point, they were installed for the sake of use on Spectrum's network. When they were installed, there would have been no need to wire the other rooms since they weren't in use: doing so would just mean more points of potential failure, and that much more wire to run.

Long story short: the outlets aren't restricted to stop you from "cheating". They just aren't active because they didn't need to be active before.

Once the outlets are active, you are free to use whichever ones you want by just plugging your cable equipment into them.

Established Sharer

Just remember to put terminators on every wired but unused outlet.  Otherwise the wiring acts as an antenna for broadcast  interference. 

Sharer

Cropsey wrote:

There are at least two cable outlets in all rooms.  What I'm trying to understand is...why aren't they all capable of having a TV plugged in to any of them?  If I didn't have the boxes I know I wouldn't be able to receive any TV service.  But..with the boxes why can't I just plug them into any outlet I choose?  I wouldn't be 'cheating'  against Spectrum.

While they may all be capable to provide television service, they are most certainlly not all active at the same time.

More outlets means more splitters, and the more outlets that are active in your home, the weaker the signal will be at each set / modem.

Each active but unused outlet that is not properly terminated is an ingress point for noise on the cable system, which impacts signal levels.  This will only get worse after the wireless telecoms start using the bandwidth they've acquired in the 600 MHz block.   Cell phones / towers will become thorns in the sides of cable systems.

To minimize losses and possible points of ingress, the unused outlet in your home may have been disconnected from the cable system, and the extraneous splitters removed.  Unless you know how your home is wired and where the connections need to be made, you will need to phone for a tech visit and pay them to make the wiring changes.

Spectrum Employee

To add to what the others are saying here... it  depends on

1. whether there is sufficient signal strength to share (usually there's only so much headroom on Tx/Return, and if you keep splitting you'll push it over 52 dBmV; too little Rx/Forward/Receive is a consideration too, don't really want that below -8 to -10)

and

2. if the outlets are in good condition (not painted over, not bad fittings behind the wallplates, not unshielded cheaply made wire) to where they'd add noise on the line for  you (and your neighbors).

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.